By: Moulana Muhammad bin Haroon (with minor editing)
Source: Al Miftah
The day of ‘Arafah (Thursday July 30, 2020 in Saudi Arabia) is the most important day for a Hajji. Whilst only a select few of the Ummah are chosen by Allah Most High to physically be on the plains of ‘Arafat on the 9th of Dhul Hijjah, there are several virtues and deeds mentioned regarding the day of ‘Arafah which apply to all whether on the Hajj or not. Here are ten of them.
A Reminder on the Takbirs of Tashriq
Before recounting the virtues of the day of Arafah itself we should be keen to remember that the takbirs of tashriq begin at Fajr of this day.
It is necessary (wajib) for every Muslim (male or female, whether praying in congregation or alone) to say the following takbir (declaration of the greatness of Allah) once (though more than once is acceptable) immediately after each obligatory (fard) prayer from the Fajr Prayer on the 9th of Dhu’l Hijjah (the Day of `Arafah which is the day before Eid) to the Asr Prayer on the 13th of Dhu’l Hijjah (the day after the final day of Eid).
Thus, these takbirs last 5 days, and 23 prayers.
اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ لَا إلَهَ إلَّا اللَّهُ. وَاَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ وَلِلَّهِ الْحَمْدُ
Transliteration: Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La ilaha illa Llahu.
Wa Llahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar wa lillahi Lhamd.
Translation: Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest, there is no god but Allah.
And Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest and to Allah belongs all praise.
See this article to learn more about the takbirs.
The Virtue of the Day
- The day of ‘Arafah is one of the best days of the year,
Sayyidna Anas (Allah be pleased with him) says:
“The day of ‘Arafah equals 10 000 days in virtue”! (At-Targheeb, vol. 2 pg.200 and Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.460)
- “On the day of Arafah Allah frees (from sin) even those who are not physically in Arafah. Therefore, the next day is Eid for all.” (Ibn Rajab -rahimahullah in Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.482)
- The Day of ‘Arafah has also been called “Yawmul Eid” by Our master ‘Umar (Allah be pleased with him) as it’s the day in which Allah Most High announced the perfection of Islam. (Sahih Bukhari)
Deeds for this Day
- DO on the Day of ‘Arafah:
- Recite kalimah shahadah a lot
- Excessive Du’a
- Persist on Sin (i.e, make tawbah -repent- from all sins)
- Be arrogant
These 2 types of people are deprived on this blessed day. (Ibn Rajab -rahimahullah- in Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.494)
- Zikr on the Day of ‘Arafah
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) would recite the following abundantly on the day of Arafah:
كان أكثر دعاء النبي عليه السلام يوم عرفة
لاإلٰه إلا الله وحده لا شريك له، له الملك وله الحمد بيده الخير وهو على كل شئ قدير – أحمد والترمذي
Lailaha illallahu wahdahu lasharika lahu lahul mulku walahul hamdu biyadihil khayru wahuwa ‘ala kuli shayin qadir
Translation: There is no deity but Allah alone without partner. His is the dominion and His is praise. All good is in His hand and He is all-powerful above all. (Musnad Ahmad; see Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.3 pg.252)
- Our master ‘Ali’s (Allah be pleased with him) dua on the Day of ‘Arafah:
دعاء سيدنا علي رضي الله عنه يوم عرفة
اللهم أعتق رقبتي من النار، وأَوسِعْ لِيْ مِنَ الرّزقِ الحلال، وَاصْرِفْ عني فَسَقة الجن والإنس – ابن أبي الدنيا
Allahumma a’tiq raqabati minanar wa awsi’li minar rizqil halal, wasrif ‘anni fasaqatil jinni wal ins
Translation: O Allah! Free me from the fire, increase my lawful sustenance, and keep away the transgressive Jin and humans from me. (Ibn Abi Dunya, see Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.494)
- “Fasting on the day of Arafah will expiate the sins of the past and future year.” (Sahih Muslim)
- Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said:
“He who protects his ears, eyes and tongue on this day (Day of ‘Arafah) will be forgiven.” Musnad Ahmad with a reliable chain, Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.3 pg.251)
- The day of ‘Arafah is the day when Shaytan is most humiliated (due to Allah’s extensive forgiveness of man in it). (Muwatta Imam Malik, Musnad Ahmad and Ibn Majah, Hadith: 3013)
All of the above will have real significance to us as individuals only if we implement it and not just share it.
May Allah Most High grant us all the tawfiq (ability) to practice on all the above and may He bless us with repeated opportunities of physically being on the plains of ‘Arafat.