By: Mubashir Anwar
Source: The Blessed Hub
This list is intended to be a quick guide to some beneficial things that can, with Allah’s help, improve our lives and faith both in and out of the noble month of Rabi’ al-Awwal. We ask Allah for sincerity and acceptance.
- Recite and listen to the Qur’an on a daily basis – One of the best ways to get closer to Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of God be upon him) is the words of Allah Almighty. A bit a day, keeps the devil at bay. Unfortunately, some of us do not even read our prayers, let alone think about the Qur’an. Start today! Improve your recitation, learn Tajwid. The Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be of God be upon him) loved to listen to the Qur’an. If you do not read, at least listen to it.
- Learn about the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him) – Did you know that he once went to a wedding party and fell asleep? Did you know he on occasion kept his hair braided into four? Read the biography of the Beloved Messenger (peace and blessings of God be upon him). Learn about his character, traits, sayings, and actions. There many beautiful works available to read and an abundance of material now available online.
- Listen to the Messenger (peace and blessings of God be upon him) – Listening is key. A great deal changes through listening. We need to ask ourselves, do we actually listen to the words of our Messenger? Traditions (Hadith) carry in them a pathway to our Prophet but also a pathway into our inner dimensions. Self understanding. Find one that speaks to you, keep reading it until it permeates you such that you implement it. I’ll give the first one, “Paradise lies beneath the feet of your mothers” Imam Ahmad.
- Share the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of God be upon him) with Humanity – We have kept him to ourselves and our prayer beads. If you really love him, translate that “love into a language heard by the deaf and actions seen by the blind.” – Usama Canon.
- Increase your salutations and blessings upon him (Durud/Salawat/Salaam) – You should try to increase these prayers and blessings as much as you can. This is a real connector and love generator. In this there nothing but gain after gain. There are numerous benefits – Imam Sha’rani mentions over 40 benefits in his book, The Gardens of Light Due to the Praising and Greetings upon the Chosen Prophet. There are also many Hadith compilation works on the benefits and significance of doing so. It is full of secrets. Check this 10-million initiative out!
- Attend and organise gatherings – You can do this with family, relatives, friends, any where ever you like. Be productive though. Try to get the whole community involved. For example, get various communities together, or get your street and neighbours together. Send each other gifts, and please – speak to each other.
- Remember those less fortunate – Feed the homeless, do a soup kitchen, collect food for a foodbank, donate to shelters, get active with a cause, hand out roses, be creative. Do it all in the name of the Beloved Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him.
- Go into your local Mosques or organisations and help them! – Find out if they need volunteers, and find out what they are struggling with. Often, you will find there is always an issue in your own backyard that you were completely oblivious to. If you can help them, help them, if not find out who you can.
- Pray for the nation of the Prophet (peace and blessings of God be upon him) that you are part of – Need I say more?
- Yearn for closeness to Allah Almighty and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, his family, companions, and those who followed till the Last day) – The proximity to the Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) will in return give you proximity with Allah. The proximity with the Messenger is where our salvation lies.
May Allah grant us Tawfiq.