By: Zara Irfan
Source: Quran Reading
For the article on husbands click here.
Islam is the complete code of life. According to Islam family makes up the society. The family is formed of man and woman and it is extended by producing children. After getting married it’s the responsibility of the husband to take care of his wife in all aspects. Every Muslim must realize that one’s spouse is first and foremost on another. It’s the duty of all Muslims that they should give respect to one another. Husband and wife have been greater rights upon each other because they have to live together.
Husband and wife should strive to make one another happy and take into consideration the needs, abilities, and weaknesses of the other. Our beloved Prophet (ﷺ) advised the husbands to treat their wives in the best way. This is clear in the following hadith: “The best of you is the best of you to their family and I am the best of you to my family.”
In another hadith Holy Prophet (ﷺ) said: “I entreat you to treat women well for they have been created from a rib and the most curved part of a rib is the upper part. If you insist on straightening it, you will break it. If you leave it, it will remain curved. So, I entreat you to treat women well.” (Bukhari)
In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says: “And of His signs are that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquility in them, and He placed between you affection and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought” (Quran, 30:21). Below we will discuss some basic rights of wives upon her husband or you can say duties of the husband for their wives.
- To feed her, spend upon her in a way that Allah Almighty commanded in Holy Quran. In one of hadith Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said: ‘Give charity.’ A man said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, I have a Dinar.’ He said: ‘Spend it on yourself.’ He said: ‘I have another.’ He said: ‘Spend it on your wife.’ He said: ‘I have another.’ He said: ‘Spend it on your son.’ He said: ‘I have another.’ He said: ‘Spend it on your servant.’ He said: ‘I have another.’ He said: ‘You know best (what to do with it).” (Sunan an-Nasa’i)
- Give dowry to wife. In Holy Quran Allah Most High says about the right of dowry in these words: “And give women their dowries as a gift. Then, if they are pleased to give some of it to you, consume it with good health and enjoyment.” ( Quran, 4:4)
- Support is one of the most important rights of the wife over her husband. Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “…And upon the father is the mother’s sustenance and her clothing according to what is reasonable. No person shall have a burden on him greater than he can bear…” (Quran, 2:233)
- It’s the duty of the husband to be kind to her and to not harm her. Prophet (ﷺ) said in one of His hadith: “The perfect man in his faith among the believers is the one whose behavior is most excellent, and the best of you are those who are the best to their wives.” (Tirmidhi)
- A husband should not expose the secrets of his wife. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “The wicked among the people in the eye of Allah on the Day of Judgment is the man who goes to his wife and she comes to him, and then he divulges her secret.” (Sahih Muslim)
- The man must not curse or swear at his wife or insult her appearance.
- A man should not hate his wife. Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said: “A believer must not hate (his wife) believing woman; if he dislikes one of her characteristics he will be pleased with another”. (Muslim)
In short, it is proven that Islam gives women enough rights as a religion, it is then up to us, as men, to further their rights and help them attain the level of equality they deserve. May Allah Almighty give us the strength to live our lives according to Islamic teachings! Ameen