By: Maulana Yunus Patel Saheb
A common complaint of many who seek reformation, is their lack of concentration in salah (prayer), and finding themselves wanting in the spirit of salah. They write or ask for some prescription to bring in that spirit and that love of Allah, Most High, through salah.
The following guidelines will, Insha-Allah, assist in improving the quality of one’s salah:
- Men should try and reach the Masjid before the Azaan, so that they may with etiquette and ease, read the sunnah salah – and this should take them about 5 minutes.
- In the remaining few minutes before an obligatory (fardh) prayer, make istighfar (seek forgiveness), taubah (repentance), or zikr (remembrance), or think of the akhirah (the Hereafter) and accountability and presentation of one’s deeds in the Court of Allah, Most High. Reflect over one’s life, “What if my death has to come now?” Try to limits on the business and worldly activities as much as possible through this little meditation and zikr.
Now comes the obligatory salah : Insha Allah, by this time, much of one’s heart will be in that salah. Insha Allah, with a little effort and perseverance, there will be full attention and concentration.
- Ladies should try and read salah in its early time, thus giving themselves the opportunity of making preparation for salah, without any haste. They too should make a little zikr before commencing with salah, to get into the right frame of mind.Moreover, if we give priority status to fulfilling the Rights of Allah, Most High, then He will assist us in fulfilling our tasks. He will put barakah (blessing) in the time so that our undertakings are completed, Insha Allah.
- Condition the mind. Address yourself, “I am standing before the King of Kings. Subhan Allah. I have been chosen, from millions, to converse with ‘Rabbul ‘Aalameen’ (the Master of worlds of being) and I am being afforded the greatest honour and privilege (above millions of others), to prostrate to Allah, Most High, to be nearest to Allah, Most High.” If we could truly fathom the greatness of the gift – this ultimate honour, this good fortune – we would never want to leave the position of prostration (sujud).
- And whilst reading the Qur`an Sharif in salah (and even outside salah) then think, “This is the kalam (speech) of my Allah – of my Beloved.” When contemplating the meaning of the verses that you are reading, think, “I am listening to the speech of Allah, Most High.”And since you are reading His Speech, He is also listening to you. Therefore learn the meaning of the surahs (chapters) we normally recite in salah. It will not take long to do so, if a little is learnt every day.
- And think, “In this salah, in this recitation, in this zikr (remembrance), in this hamd (praise) I have the special attention of Allah, Most High. I have exclusive attention because this is my me`raj’ (mystical ascent). This is my conversation and communication with the Master of the Worlds. What a compounded bounty. SubhanAllah! So many gifts in the gift packaged as salah. How can any sane thinking Muslim ever refuse such a gift?
In contemplating this, we will experience the beauty and sweetness and pleasure of salah. We will understand the Hadith in which the Messenger of Allah (Allah’s peace be upon him) says that the coolness of his eyes is in salah. May Allah, Most High, grant us the reality. Amin.
Minor edits were made to this article for clarity and style.