By: VOA News
Source: VOA News
Russia’s Defense Ministry announced Thursday the start of a new local cease-fire in Syria that covers an area north of the city of Homs.
Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said the truce was going into effect at noon local time, and would include an area that has more than 147,000 people.
He said the details of the cease-fire were discussed last week at a meeting in Cairo between Russian and Syrian rebel representatives.
The agreement is the third put in place as a result of negotiations in Astana, Kazakhstan earlier this year where Russia, Iran and Turkey agreed to establish what they called “de-escalation” zones in Syria.
Russia said its military police will monitor the halt in fighting.
Like other cease-fire deals during the Syrian conflict, this one does not cover ISIS fighters or those from al-Qaida-linked groups.