“The land doesn’t belong to us, we belong to the land.”
Israel/Palestine often sparks images of violence and conflict but there are also Palestinians and Jews dreaming and realizing a different future. Whatever political agreements may be reached- we know that our future on this land is together and its upon us to start working within our communities for a better future. Where we make space for each other- Heavens Field is exactly a space like that- a farm where we recognize and embody that this land is ultimately neither of ours; our design and farming on the land reflects our understanding of each other as long-term neighbors: perma-culture.
We hope that by our working the land together and hosting inter-cultural work and dialogue sessions we will nurture a future of greater understanding- reducing the fear and violence between our peoples. The money we hope to raise here is literally the seed money to take our planning and investment the next step!
What we envision:
- Co-run by local Jews and Palestinians, we have spent the past winter working out details, agreements and becoming better friends. We have just harvested the wheat crop on our land, and secured 6 dunam on long term rental for the project. Now it is just the seed money that we need to begin renting this land and dedicating it to our project.
- Heavens Field will turn outward – selling our veggies in our local markets – branded for co-existence, supporting local families in need and welcoming volunteers and tourists to this especially holy piece of land.
- The land is in a beautiful spring-fed valley between a Palestinian village and Jewish community near Bethlehem. All are welcome here: our community will include an expanding circle of volunteers, and visitors from the region and worldwide.
- Heaven’s Field Farm gives a physical space to the kind of grass-roots programming we believe in to change violence into understanding. This is one of a number of initiatives our larger communities are doing to increase understanding and cooperation between those perceived as the most natural of enemies. We are partnered with Arabic-Hebrew language learning circles, a joint Israeli Palestinian quarterly journal “Maktub”, and other non-politically oriented co-existence work; all projects of our sponsoring network- Eretz Shalom (Land of Peace).
- Visit our English Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/177017932397979/ to see some of our activities and conversations, or come visit with us next time you are in the Holy Land.
We are turning to you – people from around the world, to make the first season a success. Our budget includes part-time salaries for 2 Palestinian and 2 Israeli staff, land rental, irrigation equipment, tools, and heirloom seeds from both Israeli and Palestinian seed banks. (see below and feel free to contact us for more details).
Heavens Field Farm is run by everyday people here who are saying enough with the status quo and making an audacious stand within their home communities- to acknowledge and meet the “Other.” Help us get on our feet and carry the message to the many who are waiting for a place like this.
This project is a unique chance to build an island of cooperation in the heart of the conflict. While the West Bank’s notoriety is for the actions of hatred – there is a quiet majority on both sides that wishes to see the end of the violence, and is willing to address the reality that both our peoples belong to this land and it is upon us to find ways to live here now with each other. Our slogan is – Heart of the conflict, heart of the solution.
Other Ways You Can Help
Let people know about our project!
Come visit or tell somebody you know who’s coming to Israel/ Palestine about our project- hosting tour groups and volunteers is part of our long-term plan.
And if you know someone who may be interested in supporting our work- foundations or friends, publicists or videographers- we are open to helping this vision become the most productive reality.
4 part-time salaries, publicity materials, small meeting space structure (hoop house), irrigation equipment, land rental, event budget.
We hope to begin supporting ourselves through the sale of our vegetables after first season and by hosting various groups to the area to meet with local co-operation efforts.
To Donate to this project, go to this link: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/95349?c=home