Welcome to Ramadan 2011/1432!
Whether you are following physical or calculation moon sighting or just following the “majority” :-), Ramadan Mubarak from MuslimVillage.com!
Keep checking back this page for the latest information – we are updating regularly
We will list Ramadan start dates for countries around the world, as well as for individual cities in Australia.
As has been the case in past years, different countries and organisations will establish the start (and end) of Ramadan using different methods. Although all will of course be using moon sighting as the deciding factor, some will use the calculation method, whilst others will use a physical sighting (some accepting local, others global physical sighting).
According to the scientific data available on the birth of the moon, it is inconceivable that Ramadan will begin before Aug 1 2011 globally.
In Australia, there is not only differences between individual states, but also between various organisations/Mosques within major cities.
Please check with your local Mosque or Islamic organisation to find out when they will be starting Ramadan.
Moon Sighting for Ramadan 2011 – 1432
Courtesy of www.moonsighting.com
The Astronomical New Moon is on July 30, 2011 (Saturday) at 18:40 GMT.
On July 30, it can not be seen anywhere in the world.
On Sunday, July 31, 2011, it can be easily seen in Southern Africa and South America, but with difficulty in Central Africa.
On August 1, it can be easily seen everywhere except Northern Europe.
Latest Moon Sighting Reports Ramadan 2011/1432
UPDATED: August 1st 2011 – 01:17 GMT (August 1st 2011 – 10:17am Syd, Australia)
- Not Seen: Engr Manzoor A Mian (MCW member) from Melbourne, VIC reported: Just to inform you that Ramadan Crescent has not been sighted today 31/7/11 Sunday so far in Sydeny, Brisban, Melbourne, Hobert Australian cities, We are still waiting Darwan and Perth results which will be availabe IA in 2.5 hr. Hence Ramadan is not yet announed in Australia according to moonsighting.
- Not Seen: Zahid Hafeez (MCW member) from Adelaide, ACT reported: The hilal for Ramadan was not sighted in Adelaide (AU) on Sunday evening, July 31 for two reasons: there was over 50% cloud cover at the horizon and the moon was only 13 hours old, which is too young to be sighted with the naked eye. An attempt was made with binoculars from Mt. Lofty from sunset time to moonset but without success.
- Not Seen: Habeeb Mohamed-Hussain (MCW member) from Gold Coast, QL reported: On July 31, a group of six people went to sight the moon at Mount Tamborine Gold Coast. East Coast, Australia. It was clear sky. Not sighted in Gold Coast, Brisbane. The moon was about 8 deg above the horizon while sun was one deg above the horizon as per sun n moon I phone application. It is confirmed that moon was not seen anywhere in Australia and fasting will starts Tuesday the 2nd August 2011.
- Not Seen: Dr. Shabbir Ahmed (MCW member) Imam of Rooty Hill Mosque Sydney, NSW reported: The Hilaal of Ramadaan 1432 has not been sighted anywhere in Australia. Therefore, the Hilaal Committee and Majlisul Ulamaa’ of Australia have declared that the month of Ramadaan 1432 will start from Tuesday 2nd of August 2011.
- Not Seen: Dr. Mohammed Hussain Ahmad (MCW member) from Brunei Darussalam reported: The new moon was not sighted in Brunei Darussalam today 31st July 2011, Therefore the 1st Ramadan 1432 will start on Tuesday, 2nd August 2011.
- Not Seen: Dr. Musa·Minhai (MCW member) from Linxia Gansu Province reported: The hilal for Ramadan was not sighted by the naked eye at Linxia city from China on Sunday, 31 July 2011. there was over 30% cloud cover at the horizon.
- Not Seen: Ahmad I. Adjie (MCW member) from Bandung reported: I, Ahmad Adjie and team – Thoriq Gunara, Ridwan and Zahrah, from Bandung, Indonesia reports that today, Sunday 31 July 2011 Hilal was NOT SEEN in the northern hills of Bandung. There were patches of clouds but it would not have interfered with sighting.
- Not Seen: Hussain Khushaish (MCW member) from Kuwait reported: In Kuwait on Sunday 31 July 2011 I could not see the crescent even with 20*60 binocular as expected due to the low hieght and less lag of the crescent, the western horizon was hazy last 3 degrees.
- Not Seen: Zaki Afifi (MCW member) from Seremban reported: Attempted sighting on Sunday 31st July, in Seremban Malaysia. Location was not strategic and obstructed. Sighting as an act of taabbud. Hilal not sighted but the government has announced first day of fasting on Monday.
- Not Seen: Firdaus Mazlan (MCW member) from Johor Bahru reported: On Sunday, 31th July 2011 M equal to 29 Sya’ban 1432 H, I with my friend (around 30 people) cannot see the new moon either with telescope or with naked eye. Our location at Baitul Hilal, Teluk Kemang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia (02:26:43.0 N , 101:51:16.0 E). My friends from other places like Muar (02:03:0 N , 102:34:0 E), Pontian Kechil (1:29:20.68 N , 103:23:08.60 E), Johor Bahru (1:38:0 N , 103:40:0 E), Kota Tinggi (01:44:0 N , 103:53:0 E) and Melaka (02:15:0 N , 102:15:0 E) also cannot see the new moon.However, our Government have announced the first Ramadan 1432 H on 1st August 2011 (Monday).
- Not Seen: Ehsan H. Hajar (MCW member) from Casablanca reported: On July 31 evening unfortunately the meteorological condition in Casablanca were not favorable to sight a thin cresent during the 21 min or so duration after Sunset. As usual the western horizon was obscured with thin stratus clouds and water vapor up to 30 degrees high. I tried also to check the Habous site with no Vail. I will let you know of positive announcement if announced at a later hours due to any sighting reports from southern regions
- Seen: Azgar Suleman (MCW member) from Walvis Bay reported: The moon was sighted in Walvis Bay just after Maghrib Salaah for a few minutes. Skies were clear but horizon was hazy with orange/red skyline.
- 30 days complete: Lawal Bello from Abuja reported: On Saturday 30th July 2011, in Abuja, Nigeria the sky was cloudy but the moon could not be sighted. Later in the night, the Islamic authority under the Sultan Of Sokoto the authorized muslim leader in the country announced that the moon could not be sighted and 30 days are completed. Therefore, official day of beginning of fasting in Nigeria is 1st August, 2011.
- Not Seen: Abdul Jalil Rayhan (MCW member) from Cotabato reported: We have not sighted the crescent moon despite clear horizon.
- Saudi Arabia:
- 30 days complete: Mrs. Lubna Shawly (MCW member) from Jiddah reported: Saudi Arabia has declared in its courts that the new moon was not seen in many regions of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and that Sha’ban for the year will complete 30 days, and the first day of Ramadan will be corresponding to Monday the 1st of August 2011. Ramadan Mubarak to all …
- Official Announcement: The Union of Islamic Communities of Spain (UCIDE), announces to all Muslims that tomorrow, July 31, 2011, is the last day of Shaban, and the first day of the blessed month of Ramadan 1432, Monday, will be the 1st August 2011. The UCIDE, take this opportunity to congratulate the Spanish Muslims and Muslims around the world, we beseech the Almighty to help us to fast and pray its days and nights in order to achieve the satisfaction of Allah. Ramadan Mubarak.
- Sri Lanka:
- Not Seen: Nular Bary (MCW member) from Colombo reported: Today 28th Sha’ban 1432H (31/07/2011) in Sri Lanka no one have sighted the New Moon of Ramadan. I myself tried to sight the New Moon just after maghrib (6:31pm) till 7:30pm; moving clouds were at the western sky and no sign of a Hilal. “Inshaallah” I’ll try tomorrow again.
- South Africa:
- Seen: Rashid Motala (MCW member) from Durban reported: The Hilaal was sighted in many places in S. Africa on July 31, Sunday. Ramadaan Mubaruk to all. Allah Most High will most certainly shower His abundant Mercy and Blessings on the Ummah this month. May we all benefit to the maximum. Ameen.
- Seen: Dr. Abdurrazak Ebrahim (MCW member) from Cape Town reported: The Ramadaan was easily visible to the naked-eye here in Cape Town on this Sunday evening (31 July 2011 and the end of the 29 Shabaan 1432 AH). The official first day of Ramadaan will correspond with Monday, 1 August 2011, in Southern Africa. Wishing all of you and your families and friends a Blessed Ramadaan.
- Not Seen: Mohammad Ali Javed (MCW Member) from Luton, Bedfordshire reported: On Sunday 31st July 2011, the new crescent was not sighted in Luton due to partial clouds, all the Masjids in Luton have confirmed the 1st day of Ramadan 1432 to be on Monday 1st August 2011. Also, the Hizbul Ulama UK, Jamia-ul-Ulama Britain and Darul Uloom Bury are pleased to announce that Ramadan 1432 begins on the evening of Sunday 31st July 2011, first day of fasting is 1st August 2011.
Ramadan Starting Mon Aug 1 2011
Moon Sighting decided via calculation or Shabban 30 days:
NSW – Lakemba, Auburn, Redfern, Erskenville, Mt Druit, Penshurst, Smithfield, Daar Iman Arncliffe, Tempe Mosques, Punchbowl Musallah
All ASWJ Mosques/Centres – Al Azhar (Belmore), GIYC, Bukhari House + others
VIC – Islamic Council of Victoria
QLD – TBA
SA – TBA
WA – TBA – mostly physical moon sighting
TAS – TBA
Australia – see above
Europe – European Council of Fiqh and Research (ECFR) – representing Muslim minorities
United Arab Emirates
United States of America (FCNA + ISNA)