#1 stopnot

stopnot
  • Brothers
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

'Behead' placard mum goes to police
AAP September 18, 2012, 8:27 am
http://au.news.yahoo...goes-to-police/

A mother photographed at a Sydney demonstration taking a picture of her toddler son holding a sign calling for beheadings has taken herself to the police.
The image went viral after the boy was captured on camera holding a placard which read: "Behead all those who insult the Prophet" at Saturday's violent protest against an anti-Islamic film.
NSW Family and Community Services Minister Pru Goward said the boy's mother reported herself to police on Monday night after Premier Barry O'Farrell called for the Department of Community Services to investigate the matter.
The child will remain with his parents, she said.
"She overnight came in to a police station and admitted that it was her child," Ms Goward told ABC Radio on Tuesday.
"The police then went back to the house and assessed the children and assessed that they were safe so that is where they remain.
"Parents do crazy things, she might well have just thought it was a giggle to get him to hold a sign, a cute little photograph.
"But it just isn't acceptable to the rest of us."
Ms Goward said the mother had not expected the rally to turn violent.
"She apparently said that the child had been brought because they didn't expect it to become violent, which you might disagree with," she said.
Seven people have now been charged over Saturday's clashes between police and protesters, the latest a teenager who allegedly used a milk crate to damage a police car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly did this mother expect to happen after her demands for the most violent of acts – beheading – people in Sydney to be lined up and executed by Muslims here like in some Middle Eastern countries?

#2 Hasaan Moyle

Hasaan Moyle

Smooth Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

She took herself to the police to answer for her conduct in person. This is exemplary behaviour.
MuslimVillage is lots of fun! It can be addictive!

Many of us have made life-long friends here and it has totally transformed the lives of many!

Please, to maximise your enjoyment here, read the Forum Rules, Terms and Conditions.

#3 cucurbit

cucurbit
  • Sisters
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

good on her for doing that. Everyone makes silly mistakes but we don't have photographers taking pictures of us doing it

#4 platypuspieau

platypuspieau
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

good on her

#5 koalaboi

koalaboi
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

She took herself to the police to answer for her conduct in person. This is exemplary behaviour.

It was a very courageous and honourable thing to do.

We all make mistakes, the measure of who we are is how we deal with them. This woman has dealt with it so well and is showing the way forward for us all.

It's surprising how clouds have silver linings.

KB

#6 zemaire

zemaire
  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Beheading placard mother 'dumb but not unfit'

A Muslim women's group says a Sydney woman was foolish to photograph her child holding a placard calling for beheadings, but is not an unfit mother.

A Muslim women's group says New South Wales authorities have over-reacted to an incident involving a child holding a placard calling for beheadings.

There was uproar after a Muslim woman was seen at protests in Sydney last Saturday photographing her young son holding a placard saying "Behead those who insult the Prophet".

The mother turned herself in to police after the New South Wales government called for an investigation into whether her children were in danger.

Zubeda Raihman from the Muslim Women's National Network says the mother was foolish to act as she did.

But she told Ildi Amon the authorities have acted correctly in allowing the child to remain with his parents.

Listen:
http://www.sbs.com.a...b-but-not-unfit
The middle course is the best.

" I am less concerned about getting people to the shahada than I am about getting people beyond the shahada". (Shk Abdullah bin Hamid Ali)

#7 roobarb

roobarb

I am a dude!

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I think it's great she went in as she did. I still don't think this necessarily changes her beliefs. The message on the sign was extremely volatile and anyone displaying it would have to know the reception it would get.
I'd almost feel sorry for him if he weren't such a knob - tr3x
roobarb is actually a girls name in Arabic lol hence why I've always thought you were a girl - mango
since you are a worthless and shameless lowlife - FatBoyMuslim

#8 zemaire

zemaire
  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

I don't know if (English) illiteracy justifies negligence, but this is what is being reported in today's media. Allahu'alaam!

Posted Image

The Jordanian mother who was criticised for taking a photo of her young son holding a sign that said 'Behead those who insult the prophet' has admitted she didn't know what 'behead' meant. The 28-year-old woman said she only recognised the word 'prophet.'

NEWS: Mum didn't know what behead meant
http://www.mamamia.c...-in-30-seconds/

" I am less concerned about getting people to the shahada than I am about getting people beyond the shahada". (Shk Abdullah bin Hamid Ali)

#9 zemaire

zemaire
  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

The thin-lipped blue line
Opinion
September 19, 2012

Mark Sawyer

Posted Image

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell and Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione condemn the violent protests in Sydney. Photo: Dean Sewell

The deplorable behaviour of the Sydney protesters is but one aspect of the anti-Islamic film controversy.

Certainly no propagandist could devise a better image to alienate the wider public than that of a child calling for beheadings of those who insult the Islamic prophet.

Controversial poster ... a mother takes a photo of her boy holding up a sign at Saturday's Islamic protests in Sydney. Photo: Bevan Shields

But an odd note has been struck in an otherwise justified response by the authorities to the public unrest.

NSW police chief Andrew Scipione was offended by the use of a child to display the placard.

"It was an outrage," he told reporters in Sydney. "To see a young child with a placard thrust in his hand calling for the beheading of a person is simply something I cannot comprehend. It's just not what we teach our children."

Fair enough, most of us would share his view.

But justified or not, is it really the role of a police officer, no matter how high-ranked, to give any sort of running commentary?

Police, after all, are public servants, and public servants are meant to be neutral.

Beyond reassuring the public that police are seeking or interviewing people suspected of breaking the law, surely the police officer's role is to be the strong, silent type. The thin blue line should be the thin-lipped blue line.

Scipione has form in this area, going back to the APEC forum in Sydney in 2007. After police were accused of heavy-handed tactics against protesters, he gave us the Dirty Harry precis of police crowd control: "That's the way that we do business in NSW now."

Catchy, amusing even, but way beyond the remit of the chief law enforcement officer in a democracy such as ours.

Perhaps the police are filling a gap abandoned by timid politicians. NSW doesn't any more produce politicians of the ilk of Robert Askin, Liberal premier 1965-75, who was so butch that he changed his name from Robin and told his driver to "run over the bastards" (they were protesting against the small matter of the Vietnam War and the visit of US president Lyndon Johnson).

Are our elected representatives vacating the field that is rightly theirs?

It might be reassuring to see our politicians clearly define an Australian way of political discourse that does not exclude views or protest but makes a ringing defence of the rule of law in the face of intimidation and sectarian troublemakers.

But it's not the job of the coppers. Boys (and girls) in blue, we need you to catch the bad guys. Stop them menacing people and property. Uphold public institutions. Control wildcat protests.

But spare us the wisecracks, the sermons, the bristling machismo. It just might encourage the bad guys ...

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz26yuufShr

#10 zemaire

zemaire
  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Salaams,

This beautiful Islamic gesture was posted in the " Violent Sydney Protesters don’t represent us!" Facebook group.
---

‎(This is from a letter to the editor sent in by a local Muslim) Via Silma Ihram & The Australian Muslim Women's Association

We are advised that a Muslim Girl by name of "Zahra" has attended Town Hall Police Station yesterday with a bunch of flowers for the injured constables of the last weekend incident ....

No doubt, there are good Muslim individuals who act as true Australians in this country and in this case: we unconditionally consider Zahra to be a true Australian because she has acted with an Australian spirit.

The above is of social significance in the sense that it is reflective: there are still good Muslims around who do the right thing with others and or the system.

Such good spirits/individuals (like Zahra) should be admired so that other disadvantaged/uneducated members of the Islamic community also be encouraged to do the right thing.

Reinforcement/encouragement, sometimes, work better than other techniques.

https://www.facebook...81179621981918/

#11 furry_animal

furry_animal
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Salaams,

This beautiful Islamic gesture was posted in the " Violent Sydney Protesters don’t represent us!" Facebook group.
---

‎(This is from a letter to the editor sent in by a local Muslim) Via Silma Ihram & The Australian Muslim Women's Association

We are advised that a Muslim Girl by name of "Zahra" has attended Town Hall Police Station yesterday with a bunch of flowers for the injured constables of the last weekend incident ....

No doubt, there are good Muslim individuals who act as true Australians in this country and in this case: we unconditionally consider Zahra to be a true Australian because she has acted with an Australian spirit.

The above is of social significance in the sense that it is reflective: there are still good Muslims around who do the right thing with others and or the system.

Such good spirits/individuals (like Zahra) should be admired so that other disadvantaged/uneducated members of the Islamic community also be encouraged to do the right thing.

https://www.facebook...81179621981918/

C'mon, that's laying it on a bit thick, isn't it?

#12 furry_animal

furry_animal
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

^And not understanding what "Behead" means.

#13 wassim

wassim
  • Brothers
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

6 days later and the media still after this lady.

#14 gamma_ray

gamma_ray
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

from what i heard, police were very heavy-handed, and some non-violent muslim protesters were abused by the police as well.

i hope flowers were also sent to those injured protesters as well.

#15 zemaire

zemaire
  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

May Allah (SWT) grant her sabr, and protect her from traumas of stress.

'It's all a mistake - I'm not a bad mother'
EXCLUSIVE by Clementine Cuneo The Daily Telegraph September 21, 2012 12:00AM

THE Muslim mother who sparked outrage during Saturday's Sydney riot by photographing her three-year-old son holding an offensive sign yesterday claimed: "I'm not a bad mum."

The Jordanian woman, who does not wish to be identified, said she had been too ashamed and afraid to show her face in public after the backlash surrounding her actions at Hyde Park.

She was snapped by a passer-by as she took her own photo of the child holding an inflammatory placard which read "Behead all those who insult the Prophet".

Breaking her silence almost a week after she created a national stir, the 28-year-old university educated woman claimed she did not know what the word "behead" meant.

She insisted her eldest child picked up the poster from the ground and waved it above his head, so she took a photograph of him, not comprehending the sinister message portrayed on the sign.

I did not know what beheading was," she said.

" I have not heard that before ... I did not think there would be bad signs like that."

The woman, who moved to southwest Sydney from Jordan two years ago, said she and her husband took their two young sons to the city for the day, along with another Muslim family, because they wanted to support the protest.

She said she had no idea it would turn violent.

"We went there to do something good, not (cause) all this fuss," she said.

The woman realised the drama she had created only when her face became the front page image on newspapers and the lead story on television news bulletins.

Insisting she was "so sorry" she said yesterday she wanted the public to know she was remorseful and did not intend to cause such outrage.

"People think I am a bad mum. I am not a bad mum, I am a good mum and I care a lot for my children," she said.

"I love my children."

She said the outrage sparked by what she believed was an innocent happy snap had taken an emotional toll.

She said she has not left her house since the weekend - other than to hand herself into police when she became aware authorities wanted to identify her.

"I have not left my house. I am afraid to go outside and see people who will think I did something bad," she said.

But on Monday afternoon, when she heard on a television report that Premier Barry O'Farrell had asked for Community Services to investigate her, the woman said she went to police to explain herself: "I wanted them to know I am not a bad person and that I am sorry."

Community Services protection workers visited the woman's southwest Sydney home on Tuesday and decided her children were not at risk.

Minister Pru Goward cleared the mother, who was not previously known to her department, and said her explanation was accepted.

The mother said she would not be taking part in any planned protests this weekend, or in the near future.

"I just want it all to go away," she said.

http://www.dailytele...9-1226478441135

#16 zemaire

zemaire
  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

from what i heard, police were very heavy-handed, and some non-violent muslim protesters were abused by the police as well.

Totally agreed. We can't and shouldn't be selective. Wallahualaam.

However, looks like the spirit of such Islamically-inspired gesture have lost on some. EnshAllah, please let’s not undermine the diversity and variety of protesting and beneficial dawah strategies, as well as the all important Prophetic-inspired mercy and kindness towards our fellow non-muslims citizens in this country.

And Allah alone grant tawifiq.

Was salaams

#17 Bastion

Bastion
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Breaking her silence almost a week after she created a national stir, the 28-year-old university educated woman claimed she did not know what the word "behead" meant.

http://www.dailytele...9-1226478441135

Heh. Trust the Daily Terror to word that sentence that way.

In all fairness, the lady has only been Australia for two years, so I expect she obtained her degree in Jordan and English was not required.

If she has only been learning English for a couple of years she may not know what "behead" means. It is not the kind of word people use very often.

I read elsewhere, probably from an earlier version of this article, that the only word the woman recognized on the sign was "prophet".

Anyway, I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt.

#18 Bastion

Bastion
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

The police were not heavy handed.

Having been a left-wing university student in the 1970's, and seen the way anti uranium mining demonstrations were dealt with back then, I can assure you that the police who attended this demonstration were gentle ***** cats compared to the ones that my colleagues and I came across.

Oh man oh man.....I could tell some stories about those days.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users