15 replies to this topic

#1 Mounir

Mounir

Every Technique is Unique

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Salamu Alaykum all,

Has anyone here studied graphic design? Or currently works in the industry?

I'm looking to further my studies in this field and hope to also acquire some skills in basic/advanced web design. If you can share your thoughts on this course and which uni/tafe/campus you recommend, that would really be appreciated.

Jazakullah khairan
Seeking sincerity takes sincerity

#2 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Waalaikumsalam

Come to Melbourne, RMIT is the best :) and Ill introduce you to not only one but few top brothers who will support and guide you :) Bear in mind, usually these brothers hang out till midnite until you understand what you are doing :)
That which brings you closer to Allah (swt), is the greatest blessing of all.

#3 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

LOL Subhanallah. I had a feeling before I clicked to open this thread that the first 3 words you would say are 'come to melbourne'... whyyy haha.
That's kind of you CM, I would actually consider RMIT, but the only thing stopping me from doing that is fee cost and accommodation. If I can get myself around these things then I would take that extra step. Also I need to look into future prospects, what benefits the course has to offer and job opportunities.

#4 cucurbit

cucurbit
  • Sisters
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

really super crazy ridic hard to make money from graphic design. Idk if you'd want to invest that much money into a uni degree when you can give it a solid shot in tafe too.

#5 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hmm. Don't know much design tafes besides Enmore Tafe. Thanks for the tip

#6 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

LOL Subhanallah. I had a feeling before I clicked to open this thread that the first 3 words you would say are 'come to melbourne'... whyyy haha.
That's kind of you CM, I would actually consider RMIT, but the only thing stopping me from doing that is fee cost and accommodation. If I can get myself around these things then I would take that extra step. Also I need to look into future prospects, what benefits the course has to offer and job opportunities.

We are connected bro :) but not anymore :sad:
That which brings you closer to Allah (swt), is the greatest blessing of all.

#7 Alpha Dude

Alpha Dude
  • Validating
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

What kind of things are you looking to learn as far as web design is concerned? I work in development but I guess you'd need to learn at least CSS, HTML and how to splice PSD images? Not sure what else.

#8 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thanks bro. That was helpful. No I don't have knowledge in any of the 3 you mentioned but basically I'm looking to gain skills in web design in general. I would like to be able to design a site with my own artwork (using illustrator for eg) and implementing them into the body of the website. You know, how to make a nice looking site that actually functions

#9 Alpha Dude

Alpha Dude
  • Validating
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

You're principally a designer right?

There's developers and then there are designers (some people are multi-skilled and have knowledge/experience of both). The designer deals with making the site look good, elegant and user friendly whilst developer handles the back end database and functionality of the site.

Unless you know programming already (e.g. PHP or ASP.net) you would have a lot to learn in terms of how to incorporate functionality into a site (i.e. what a developer would do).

But if you're not interested in development and want to stick purely to design, like I said, HTML and CSS knowledge would help you a lot and also knowledge on how to slice Photoshop/Illustrator images and convert them for use on a website.

Here's a tutorial I quickly Googled for slicing a Photoshop image to HTML: http://www.bolducpre...om-psd-to-html/ I'm sure if you search around you could find stuff for Illustrator, if that's what you use.

Try these if you want to learn basic HTML and CSS. They're quite straightforward so if you spend a day or so going through them inshaAllah they will help a lot.

#10 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

I can design things, but I'm not a 'designer', as in I never undertook any design related courses.

Hmm interesting. So there's two aspects to consider. I will have a deeper look into it Inshallah. Oh excellent, yeah well I can get my hands on some illustrator tutorials as my knowledge and experience is mostly based on photoshop unfortunately. Photoshop is good, but there's no match for vector in my opinion.

No worries bro, I appreciate your help, you've been much kind.

#11 Alpha Dude

Alpha Dude
  • Validating
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Just briefly on the two aspects again - if you have a really simple 1 page or few page basic website with no dynamic content, then you don't need to know in-depth programming and can make do with just HTML. It's only when a site has complicated stuff like data handling and taking user input that it requires more. Like this MV forum, you could never make unless you knew PHP (and not a one man job either as it would take a long time).

All the best inshaAllah bro. :)

#12 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Just briefly on the two aspects again - if you have a really simple 1 page or few page basic website with no dynamic content, then you don't need to know in-depth programming and can make do with just HTML. It's only when a site has complicated stuff like data handling and taking user input that it requires more. Like this MV forum, you could never make unless you knew PHP (and not a one man job either as it would take a long time).

All the best inshaAllah bro. :)

Mashallah you have quite an extensive amount of knowledge in this area of field. Ya I think I'll start with the basics for now. So do you have a website/gallery that can be viewed by public?

#13 Alpha Dude

Alpha Dude
  • Validating
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Nah man, I don't. I actually started off working for company that made desktop apps rather than websites. I've only got into this relatively recently and then been working on sites that are used internally as part of customer relationship management, so nothing that would go on a public portfolio.

#14 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Ah right. Sounds cool. It would be a shame if I don't make my passion a practice, it's the only way I would really enjoy work. So you stand alone atm or you still work with this company? What's it like anyway. Apologies for the barrage of questions

#15 Alpha Dude

Alpha Dude
  • Validating
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Still working for the same company. It is good if you do what you like. The place I work currently, I tend to sometimes work overtime without pay because it is quite interesting. In my last job, as soon as it hit 5:30, I just wanted to dash out of that door. :popcorn:

#16 Mounir

Mounir

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Oh excellent Mashallah, good on you. Yeah haha thats so true, thats how I was with my previous job. Yeah and doing your overtime, its good da'wa aswell ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users