Seeking An English Speaking Imam

8 replies to this topic

#1 Vous

Vous
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

I have been researching Islam for a couple of years now. Like many, I have a million questions. My path to Islam has not been easy and in fact, is just getting more difficult with each new day. I was hoping to open a private email dialogue with an english speaking Imam if possible?

I have read a number of posts in the forums. I appreciate that there are thousands of brothers willing to help me with my questions and any posts I might put up in one of the forums. However, I don't feel comfortable posting details about my life in a public space, nor do I feel that my own and others replies would be as honest or fruitful as they could be, compared to a private dialogue.

I understand that Imams are very busy and can't reply to every single person who is full of questions and unease. Perhaps a senior member or a learned brother could suffice instead? I would prefer to have such dialogues in person, but I am in another country where english is not the first language. I am Australian, so I wonder whether a fellow Australian muslim would be best, as there might be a better mutual understanding of culture and language use?

My first entry to a mosque (outside of prayer time) was met with a lack of helpfulness and as far as I was lead to believe, there is not a single english speaking imam in all of France. Hence, my request here to be put in contact with an english speaking imam if possible :)

I was not sure where to post this request or who to email. So feel free to remove this post of mine from this forum, once my request has been passed on to someone that might be able to help. I would prefer to have the dialogue via private email if possible.

Thank you kindly for any help you can offer me.

#2 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hi Vous

Welcome to MV. Hope you've a beneficial stay here, are you in France now? :ermm:
That which brings you closer to Allah (swt), is the greatest blessing of all.

#3 Vous

Vous
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hi,

Yes, I am in France for an indefinite period. I don't expect to find an english speaking imam here. I approached a mosque to ask for one, or at least a contact number or email of a main muslim body which might have such information. But I was just given an abrupt no and more-or-less waved straight out the door.

But it got me thinking that an Australian brother or imam who speaks english quite well, might be the best idea. I don't speak/know any arabic and I don't speak french well enough to converse about such matters even remotely fluently.

#4 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

check inbox :)

#5 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi Vous there's a new member just arrived on MV :)

http://muslimvillage...am-from-france/

#6 MuslimFrance

MuslimFrance
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Salam aleykoum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu :)

I hope you like France, in fact it depends where do you live in France because Muslims arent everywhere. I understand that imams don't speak english, they already speak arab + french and they have a lot of other things to learn about Islam...
I would be happy to help, or try to help you (but i'm just a young students haha) or you can find e-mail of bilingual imam, i think it can be easy

PS:Thanks to CM786 for the meeting héhé

#7 Vous

Vous
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi MuslimFrance,

Thankyou for your kind offer. It is ok, I have some muslim friends in france who have located someone to translate between myself and an Imam. I will try this first and if the language barrier is too much, I will come back here for help :o)

Merci,
Vous.

#8 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

^ :thumbsup:

#9 MuslimFrance

MuslimFrance
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Ok that's cool good luck akhi :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users