• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dodgeball

dodgeball
  • Sisters
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Assalam alaykum,

Does anyone know if the Kava drink found in the Pacific such as Fiji haram to drink?
The strong man is not the good wrestler; the strong man is only the one who controls himself when he is angry.

-Prophet Muhammad, from Sayings of Muhammad by Prof. Ghazi Ahmad

#2 yummyyummy

yummyyummy

Börk, börk, börk!

• Sisters
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Yep, it's an intoxicant.
Some info about kava from the NT government
I was not able to find anything on Sunnipath, but ask any sheikh/maulana from Fiji and they will say its haram.
Meanwhile, the humans, with their plebeian minds, have brought us a truly demonic concept.
Mass production!

#3 Jaaved

Jaaved

Alhamdulillah

• Admin
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yes, what yummyyummy said.

Many Muslims in Fiji still drink it but it's essentially haraam.
“One of the greatest tribulations Allah can afflict a servant with is to preoccupy him with the faults of others, and blind him to his own faults.” — Quoted by Imam Zaid Shakir

“If you see an injustice, ACT ON IT, and if you can't do that, then SPEAK ON IT, and if you can't do that, then FEEL IT IN YOUR HEART, it's the weakest form of faith but at least that's a start.” — "Act On It" by The Brothahood

#4 dodgeball

dodgeball
  • Sisters
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

assalam alaykum,

SubhanAllah it is so readily available for all tourists. I recently returned from Fiji and wherever you go Fijians are offering Kava as it is a sign of respect and welcome from them. But little do Muslims from outside know that it is in fact haram to drink.

I think the tourist industry in Fiji needs to educate Fijians not to offer Kava to tourists.
The strong man is not the good wrestler; the strong man is only the one who controls himself when he is angry.

-Prophet Muhammad, from Sayings of Muhammad by Prof. Ghazi Ahmad

#5 alaq

alaq
  • Brothers
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

I am no jurist but I would not think it is haram. Personally, I dont consume it but would not forbid someone from drinking it unless I had a first hand fatwa
Someone drinking 5 cans of V are probably more intoxicated then someone consuming kava. People get head spins from durian. Tobacco is makroo according to God fearing scholars. But this is beside the point. Fiqh is heavily derived by analogy and if the jurists disagree on substances such as qat then I cant see how this would be such a clear cut ruling.

Fiqh really is quite interesting Abu Hanifa (may Allah be pleased with him) believed wine was haram but not because it was an intoxicant. Fortunately his school differed.
كُنْ مَعَ الله - تَرَ اللهَ مَعَك

#6 Jaaved

Jaaved

Alhamdulillah

• Admin
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

5 cans of V won't make you intoxicated, guaranteed.
“One of the greatest tribulations Allah can afflict a servant with is to preoccupy him with the faults of others, and blind him to his own faults.” — Quoted by Imam Zaid Shakir

“If you see an injustice, ACT ON IT, and if you can't do that, then SPEAK ON IT, and if you can't do that, then FEEL IT IN YOUR HEART, it's the weakest form of faith but at least that's a start.” — "Act On It" by The Brothahood

#7 alaq

alaq
  • Brothers
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Nor will five coconut shells of kava though you will probably not be able to feel your tongue.

#8 alaq

alaq
  • Brothers
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Just did a quick google search and thought you might be interested:

"If kava is consumed in very large amounts, the drinker feels irresistibly compelled to sleep. Interestingly enough, however, the excessive kava drinker will retain the ability to think clearly right up to the time of sleep. Even when consumed in great quantities, kava still does not fog the mind or produce delirium."

I know some non-Muslim Fijians who used to drink very strong kava. I never noticed any change in their behaviour.

Disclaimer: I am not promoting drinking kava nor claiming it to be permissible. Just giving my personal and unqualified opinion.

#9 Amazing_Andy

Amazing_Andy
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

5 cans of V won't make you intoxicated, guaranteed.

yeah. it only takes 2 V cans to get hyper headspins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users