• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LenTaubman

LenTaubman
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

See MSNBC video "Insects are Food".

Could this be an answer to world hunger?

Not the only answer, but an answer?

As Victoria waits for what may be the worst locust infestation in history I can't help wondering.

#2 alaq

alaq
  • Brothers
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

Insects are haram although locusts are halal.
كُنْ مَعَ الله - تَرَ اللهَ مَعَك

#3 Jakker

Jakker
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

<br />See MSNBC video &quot;<a href='http://insectsarefood.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Insects are Food</a>&quot;.Could this be an answer to world hunger? />Not the only answer, but an answer? />As Victoria waits for what may be the worst locust infestation in history I can't help wondering. />

Len, I haven't watched the video you linked, but I do know in Asian countries (eg Vietnam) that eating insects is common.

Actually, it would seem that many asian cultures have a view that "if it moves, it can be eaten!" (including scorpions, tarantulas, ...)

There is no reason why not from a health point of view. Obviously the "ewww" factor for people used to a western diet would be a significant impediment!

#4 Um Zaynab

Um Zaynab

i'kal wa tawakkal

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

See MSNBC video "Insects are Food".

Could this be an answer to world hunger?

Not the only answer, but an answer?

As Victoria waits for what may be the worst locust infestation in history I can't help wondering.

the only solution for world hunger is for people to become more charitable and less selfish consumed out by their greed for wealth.
if you educate a man, you educate an individual, but if you educate a female, you educate a nation

#5 Abdul Rahman

Abdul Rahman

Allah's most needy servant

• Brothers
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

We have known for decades now since the failed Green Revolution that food production levels are not the reason for world hunger. More food is being produced now than at any point in history and we'd rather feed it to our cows so we can have hamburgers than give it to the poor.
"Whoever is satisfied to act without knowledge is satisfied with disobedience to Allah"
Imam Suyuti :ra:

#6 eosdiscovery

eosdiscovery

Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him

• Brothers
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

We have known for decades now since the failed Green Revolution that food production levels are not the reason for world hunger. More food is being produced now than at any point in history and we'd rather feed it to our cows so we can have hamburgers than give it to the poor.

Posted ImagePosted Image
La Illaha Illallah, Muhammad Rasulallah, Sallah Lahu Alaihi Wassalam, Fi Kuli Lamhatin, Wa Nafasin, Adada Ma Wis'u Ilmu'lah.

#7 Hasaan Moyle

Hasaan Moyle

Smooth Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

I thought hamburgers WERE for the poor?
MuslimVillage is lots of fun! It can be addictive!

Many of us have made life-long friends here and it has totally transformed the lives of many!

Please, to maximise your enjoyment here, read the Forum Rules, Terms and Conditions.

#8 Abdul Rahman

Abdul Rahman

• Brothers
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

I'm sorry Hasaan, but in real terms, what passes for a poor person here is someone who historically is living better than most of the Kings that ever lived in many respects.
"Whoever is satisfied to act without knowledge is satisfied with disobedience to Allah"

#9 eosdiscovery

eosdiscovery

• Brothers
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

I'm sorry Hasaan, but in real terms, what passes for a poor person here is someone who historically is living better than most of the Kings that ever lived in many respects.

Wow, big overstatement.
La Illaha Illallah, Muhammad Rasulallah, Sallah Lahu Alaihi Wassalam, Fi Kuli Lamhatin, Wa Nafasin, Adada Ma Wis'u Ilmu'lah.

#10 Dishdash

Dishdash

is loving Salafi cowboys.

• Brothers
  • 9,510 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

I think that was quite deliberate actually!
Islamaphobaphobe.

Every soul shall taste death.
Every soul should taste wara enib.

#11 Hasaan Moyle

Hasaan Moyle

Smooth Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

How many poor people in Australia have ever eaten a swan casserole after having their second wife beheaded or ordered quail's eggs from France just to satisfy the cravings of their pregnant third?

I don't think we have surpassed Henry VIII quite yet.

Many of us have made life-long friends here and it has totally transformed the lives of many!

Please, to maximise your enjoyment here, read the Forum Rules, Terms and Conditions.

#12 MoldyToast

MoldyToast
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

How many poor people in Australia have ever eaten a swan casserole after having their second wife beheaded or ordered quail's eggs from France just to satisfy the cravings of their pregnant third?

I don't think we have surpassed Henry VIII quite yet.

Well I don't know about you, but that's just a regular Sunday in my household. As we speak, my servants are crafting an elegant confection in the shape of a deer, made from this new chocolate stuff we're getting from the colonies in the New World. That's for Saturday breakfast, of course.
NB: I'm a girl (there appears to have been some confusion over this...).

#13 bahram

bahram
  • Brothers
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

Well I don't know about you, but that's just a regular Sunday in my household. As we speak, my servants are crafting an elegant confection in the shape of a deer, made from this new chocolate stuff we're getting from the colonies in the New World. That's for Saturday breakfast, of course.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In accordance with the real nature of things, it is the human that must conform to the Divine and not the Divine to the human. - Seyyed Hossein Nasr as quoted in 'The Reliance of the Traveler' by Shaykh Nuh Ha Meem Keller

#14 eosdiscovery

eosdiscovery

• Brothers
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

LOL you guys kill me

#15 Hasaan Moyle

Hasaan Moyle

Smooth Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

As we speak, my servants are crafting an elegant confection in the shape of a deer...

You have servants?

When my wife lived in Pakistan she had nine servants.

When she came to Australia she had to make do with only one. :(

#16 Abdul Rahman

Abdul Rahman

• Brothers
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

I think that was quite deliberate actually!

You would be fairly accurate in that observation.

#17 toomuchnoise

toomuchnoise
  • Banned
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

lmao
The only thing that will make you feel alive is to become a slave of The Living (Allah - Al Hay) who never dies. - Hamza Yusuf

The best form of piety is to conceal it - Imam Ali (RA)

#18 MoldyToast

MoldyToast
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:55 PM

You have servants?

When my wife lived in Pakistan she had nine servants.

When she came to Australia she had to make do with only one. :(

I think we're meant to refer to them as "staff" these days, pc and all that, donchakno.
NB: I'm a girl (there appears to have been some confusion over this...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users