Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

Melbourne to overtake Sydney as biggest city

By Western Sydney reporter George Roberts

Updated 5 hours 24 minutes ago
Posted Image

Melbourne is on track to displace Sydney as Australia's largest city in 2037. (ABC News: Giulio Saggin, file photo)

* Map: Melbourne 3000
* Related Story: Housing shortage crisis predicted by 2020
* Related Story: High-rise living: Australian cities in 2050
* Related Story: The population debate: do you want 'a big Australia'?

A new report from the property industry paints a picture of Melbourne taking over from Sydney as the country's economic powerhouse.

The Going Nowhere report, prepared by the Urban Taskforce, says Sydney is slipping behind in terms of its economy, population and ability to attract investment.

The taskforce's Aaron Gadiel said there were 500,000 more people living in Sydney than there were in Melbourne in mid-2009, compared to 600,000 more people in Sydney than were in Melbourne eight years ago.

"Victoria's economy has been substantially outperforming New South Wales," he said.

"Melbourne, with its long-term population growth of 1.3 per cent a year, will displace Sydney as Australia's largest city in 2037."

Mr Gadiel says the gradual decline in Sydney's population growth is due to a lack of housing.

He says New South Wales needs to double the number of homes built each year if it is to stop slipping behind the other states.

"Even if we settle for the targets that the Government has, which is 25,000 extra homes a year, we're talking about more than doubling the current rate of homes construction," he said.

"The Metropolitan Strategy Targets are targets that have to be met. They should be met. They're not aspirational. They're the base level numbers that we need to meet if we just need to keep our economy and our community ticking over on an even keel."

Mr Gadiel says the lack of housing supply is "fundamentally linked" to the state's ability to support economic and population growth.

"In New South Wales, the economy comes back to construction, because at the end of the day we're not blessed with the resources of Western Australia or Queensland," he said.

"What drives our economy is the activities of people. Housing people is at the fulcrum of it all. Not only does housing provide jobs itself, it also gives us the opportunity to house and attract people to our economy who can make a difference."

Mr Gadiel predicts Victoria will continue to dominate in terms of attracting construction investment and therefore population and economic growth.

"[Victoria has] had an average economic growth of 3.3 per cent compared to only 1.7 per cent in New South Wales. That's from the years 2003 to 2009," he said.

"Now in Victoria, they've had job growth of 2.1 per cent per annum, while it's only been 1.4 per cent in New South Wales.

"So of all the states in Australia, New South Wales' economic growth per capita has been the slowest at just 0.8 per cent a year."

The latest business outlook report by Access Economics, also out today, shows signs of the New South Wales economy improving.

But it warns rising interest rates and a weak commercial construction sector could cause economic difficulty.

ABC News
That which brings you closer to Allah (swt), is the greatest blessing of all.

#2 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Sydney is still better.

#3 muslimeh

muslimeh
  • Sisters
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

sydney would be even better if a bunch of inhabitants moved south...say a million or two. :)

#4 Surrender

Surrender

.:~§µяřэŋdεŗ~:.

• Brothers
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

sydney would be even better if a bunch of inhabitants moved south...say a million or two. :)

what do you mean by that lol
"Women were created from the rib of a man. She was not made from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be stood upon, but out of his side to be equal to him."

#5 cucurbit

cucurbit
  • Sisters
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

sydney is HUGEEEE, ive never been to Melbourne, but i hear the suburbs and distance from the CBD that do fall under "Melbourne" is much smaller than it is for Sydney.

#6 muslimeh

muslimeh
  • Sisters
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

present company excluded, of course.

are you from sydney? if so then imagine how much nicer it would be if half the population moved to melbourne. ;)

#7 MoldyToast

MoldyToast
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

Well it would probably result in a serious reduction in my rent, so I'm totally behind it. Also, if the guy who seems to eat an entire clove of garlic for breakfast before sitting behind me on the bus could also move to Melbourne, that would be great.
NB: I'm a girl (there appears to have been some confusion over this...).

#8 Surrender

Surrender

.:~§µяřэŋdεŗ~:.

• Brothers
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

present company excluded, of course.

are you from sydney? if so then imagine how much nicer it would be if half the population moved to melbourne. ;)

yeah im from syd im a city boy :P there is alota people that id love to be gone, sydney would be alot nicer lol
"Women were created from the rib of a man. She was not made from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be stood upon, but out of his side to be equal to him."

#9 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

There's also that one cool guy who you'd wanna see move up...

#10 Ibn Tarek

Ibn Tarek
  • Brothers
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

Did you know people that immigrate to Melbourne from Sydney lower the average IQ of both cities.
And this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me;
I'm gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way,
Your way home ...

#11 Saawariya_Sakinah

Saawariya_Sakinah
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

I thought Melbourne was bigger then Sydney...oh well that's what my dad use to tell me when i was 10... *shakes head* what a LIAR lol.
Whoever revives one of my Sunnah's at the time of corruption will get 100 shaheed reward- Prophet Muhammad(as)

#12 wanderingruh

wanderingruh
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

Did you know people that immigrate to Melbourne from Sydney lower the average IQ of both cities.

you know some people in Brisbane have trouble spelling Four X, i.e., XXXX,

"uummmm x...x...x...s...s (*thinks there is a silent double ss)

Has anyone noticed Sydney people are less sophisticated than Melbournians?
Maybe because Melbourne is a more organised city.

However, Sydney is the historical heart of this country. Port Jackson, Botany Bay, Sydney Cove, all started right here mateys.
so Sydneysiders win : )

#13 ~JewelofAllah~

~JewelofAllah~
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:31 AM

Hmmm, I'm wondering whether I should base my choice of university on this conversation.
Subhan'Allah, it's only when you realise the closed door probably had no treasure that you discover the real treasure...
And then, happiness prevails, bi'idhnillah!

#14 Bedouin

Bedouin
  • Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

LOL! :lol:

#15 amats

amats

so i herd u liek mudkipz?

• Brothers
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

i hate melbourne its such a hole.
[ mint tea & mansaf ]

#16 Ibn Tarek

Ibn Tarek
  • Brothers
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

LOL! :lol:

You must be from Melbourne, or have some Melbourne blood in you, to have got that.
Your way home ...

#17 Ibn Tarek

Ibn Tarek
  • Brothers
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

i hate melbourne its such a hole.

a (w)hole lotta AWESOME!!! :mrgreen:
Your way home ...

#18 muslimeh

muslimeh
  • Sisters
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

You must be from Melbourne, or have some Melbourne blood in you, to have got that.

:twisted:

its not hard to get...

#19 FreePalestine

FreePalestine
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Well it would probably result in a serious reduction in my rent, so I'm totally behind it. Also, if the guy who seems to eat an entire clove of garlic for breakfast before sitting behind me on the bus could also move to Melbourne, that would be great.

awww poor moldy! What an annoying way to start the day.
My lord, forgive me and my parents - my lord, have mercy on them as they cherished me in my childhood.

#20 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

What's the difference between Melbourne Storm and a triangle?
Spoiler

#21 moust-E

moust-E
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

one thing i noticed when i was recently in melbourne is that i felt the ppl were alot friendlier. or maybe i just run into the meanies from syd.

also, other observations:

- everyone i saw in melb seemed well dressed ALL the time!
- (plus, as i have mentioned b4, LEGAL U-Turns rule)
- Even though I never went on one, TRAMS, they look so cool, like a train in the middle of the st
I am the Assistant (to the) Regional Manager.

#22 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

I took a Sydney MV brother on his first tram a few years back.
He went loco at the awesomeness of it all. :/

#23 CM786

CM786

Just for Palestine/Syria

• Moderators
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

^yeah and you want to move up to Sydney :ermm: :evil:
That which brings you closer to Allah (swt), is the greatest blessing of all.

#24 pepe

pepe
  • Brothers
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

ROFL.

Well imagine having him stand next to you in a congregational prayer...with silent and deadly burps.... :(
The Monoculture’s complaint about Islam amounts to only one demand: Be like us!

#25 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

^yeah and you want to move up to Sydney :ermm: :evil:

That's right. :dance:
Insha'Allah.

#26 moust-E

moust-E
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Melbourne gets another tick from me, because I saw a news reader (cant remeber what channel) who had a moustache!!! who has moustaches these days and is allowed on tv, calling the news.

I found it hilarious, reminded me of my dad and his import mo

#27 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Melbourne gets another tick from me, because I saw a news reader (cant remeber what channel) who had a moustache!!! who has moustaches these days and is allowed on tv, calling the news.

Ummmmm..Tom Tucker?

#28 moust-E

moust-E
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Ummmmm..Tom Tucker?

who? :s maybe...

#29 injoyandsorrow

injoyandsorrow
  • Brothers
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image
Tom Tucker

#30 moust-E

moust-E
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

LOL, that name sounded somewhat familiar.

I just got punk'd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users