11 replies to this topic

#1 k79

k79

Sister

• Sisters
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

salaam alaykum,
just wanted to know if people could tell me what it will be like going to the mosque for the first time, i want to go see a sister and talk about learning more of the islamic religion as i would like to one day convert to islam, but i have never been to a mosque and feel kinda scared going in alone, i have asked my boyfriend to take me but i dont think he will take me as he never visits himself.... so if someone could guide me it would be great, i have been told to go to the coburg mosque. thank you !

#2 mz_censored

mz_censored
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

salaam alaykum,
just wanted to know if people could tell me what it will be like going to the mosque for the first time, i want to go see a sister and talk about learning more of the islamic religion as i would like to one day convert to islam, but i have never been to a mosque and feel kinda scared going in alone, i have asked my boyfriend to take me but i dont think he will take me as he never visits himself.... so if someone could guide me it would be great, i have been told to go to the coburg mosque. thank you !

wa alaykum salaam :)

This reply is about 2months late so i hope you have not been discouraged about visiting a mosque. However in case you are still not sure yet etc i'll just share with you some basic things, call it 'mosque etiquette' if you like :).

1) When visiting a mosque, whether you are a man or woman dress modestly. For men - cover from the navel to below the knees. For women a hijab consists of a head-scarf and clothing which covers the body excepting the hands and face.

2) A person should be clean. That includes themselves and their clothing. A mosque is a place of worship and sacredness and so purity is vital. However menstruating women are still permitted inside the mosque although prayer and reciting quran cannot be practiced until after the period has passed and they have washed and made ablution. However they are still permitted to supplicate.

3) Upon entering a mosque remove your shoes. Usually this is in the foyer area or just at the front. The building usually makes that obvious or clear due to other shoes placed somewhere or shelves placed specially for shoes or even a sign/poster. Keep it tidy ;). Once again this is to keep the place of worship pure.

4) Whilst in the mosque try not to be loud and definitely not if there is a prayer; call to prayer; khutbah(sermon) [a sermon takes place every Friday afternoon for a few minutes]; lecture etc occuring. As a matter of fact when these things happen not only mustn't a person be loud but should abstain from speaking until it has ended.

5) If it is your first time and you don't know your way around kindly ask where the women's secton is if you cannot already see it. Ask to speak to who you are after or who you may speak to regarding.... and they should be glad to assist you. If they are not and come across as unwelcoming or negative don't take this as an indication God does not welcome you or that Islam teaches such manners. However most cases they should be happy to help.

6) No such thing as a 'dumb question(s)'. No such thing as 'too many questions'.

7) Enter the mosque with your right foot first!

I hope this has been helpful insha'Allah (God willingly). May Allah Lead you onto the Straight Path, Bless you, Have Mercy upon you and Grant you a place in Paradise. Ameen. :)

btw here's a youtube link which shows a video of an Australian convert to Islam and his path towards Islam and what it was like for him in the mosque. Hope you like it.

part 1

part 2

#3 k79

k79

Sister

• Sisters
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

wa alaykum salaam :)

This reply is about 2months late so i hope you have not been discouraged about visiting a mosque. However in case you are still not sure yet etc i'll just share with you some basic things, call it 'mosque etiquette' if you like :) .

1) When visiting a mosque, whether you are a man or woman dress modestly. For men - cover from the navel to below the knees. For women a hijab consists of a head-scarf and clothing which covers the body excepting the hands and face.

2) A person should be clean. That includes themselves and their clothing. A mosque is a place of worship and sacredness and so purity is vital. However menstruating women are still permitted inside the mosque although prayer and reciting quran cannot be practiced until after the period has passed and they have washed and made ablution. However they are still permitted to supplicate.

3) Upon entering a mosque remove your shoes. Usually this is in the foyer area or just at the front. The building usually makes that obvious or clear due to other shoes placed somewhere or shelves placed specially for shoes or even a sign/poster. Keep it tidy ;) . Once again this is to keep the place of worship pure.

4) Whilst in the mosque try not to be loud and definitely not if there is a prayer; call to prayer; khutbah(sermon) [a sermon takes place every Friday afternoon for a few minutes]; lecture etc occuring. As a matter of fact when these things happen not only mustn't a person be loud but should abstain from speaking until it has ended.

5) If it is your first time and you don't know your way around kindly ask where the women's secton is if you cannot already see it. Ask to speak to who you are after or who you may speak to regarding.... and they should be glad to assist you. If they are not and come across as unwelcoming or negative don't take this as an indication God does not welcome you or that Islam teaches such manners. However most cases they should be happy to help.

6) No such thing as a 'dumb question(s)'. No such thing as 'too many questions'.

7) Enter the mosque with your right foot first!

I hope this has been helpful insha'Allah (God willingly). May Allah Lead you onto the Straight Path, Bless you, Have Mercy upon you and Grant you a place in Paradise. Ameen. :)

btw here's a youtube link which shows a video of an Australian convert to Islam and his path towards Islam and what it was like for him in the mosque. Hope you like it.

part 1

part 2

Thank you for your replym I am now a revert i reverted friday night, i have been going to the mosque every wednesday for classes, thank you for taking the time to reply and giving all the above info.

#4 amar_labedi

amar_labedi
  • Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

Thank you for your replym I am now a revert i reverted friday night, i have been going to the mosque every wednesday for classes, thank you for taking the time to reply and giving all the above info.

Assalamalikum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu

Mashallah

May allah forgive us our sins and guide us to the straight Path....

#5 ocean

ocean

God's Lonely Man

• Brothers
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

salaam alaykum,

i hate to tell u this but expect to get some dirties from older women. :ermm:

just ignore them and take it with a light heart. we all have weaknesses in our heart. their's is "meh i m a better muslim, who on earth is she and what on earth is she doing here" kind of mentality. :roll:
--If Religion was Object Oriented Language (eg: C++) then Islam would be equivalant to Base Class and a Muslim would be an Inferface Object.

--There is no greater act than trying to explore what is greater. 

#6 "Say he is one"

"Say he is one"
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

Bukhari sisters are touring auburn mosque this friday night followed by dinner for any revert sisters looking to visit the mosque in a group for the first time.

We are meeting at bukhari bookshop at auburn at 6.30 and will make our way down to auburn turkish mosque.

Please PM if you need any futher details .

Salams Kath
Bukhari sisterhood.

#7 becomingMuhsin

becomingMuhsin
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

asalamu'alaykum

Looks like the sister [k79] is from Melbourne :)

#8 "Say he is one"

"Say he is one"
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

Jak

It was just a call out to all revert sisters/new muslim who know what K79 is going through and would like a chance to visit the mosque in a safe enviroment.

Salams Kath

#9 Sam

Sam
  • Former Member
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

In the Shafe'i madhhab, menstruating women are not permitted to stay inside the mosque. Also, when the menstruation period is over they must have a complete bath (ghusl), not just a wash and ablution.
Israel's strategy: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

#10 Bedouin

Bedouin
  • Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

i have asked my boyfriend to take me but i dont think he will take me as he never visits himself.... so if someone could guide me it would be great, i have been told to go to the coburg mosque. thank you !

Off-topic, sis, but having boyfriend/girlfriend type relationships in Islam is not allowed. I say that in case you didn't know, not to judge or look down upon you.

#11 mizzkatie

mizzkatie
  • Sisters
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Jak

It was just a call out to all revert sisters/new muslim who know what K79 is going through and would like a chance to visit the mosque in a safe enviroment.

Salams Kath

salams, i have been muslim for 5 years annd i am sorry to say i have never been to the mosque, i am too scared so would like to know if vising is done on a weekly,monthly bases or what? thank you for your time!
The Shortest Distance between a Problem and it's Solution is the Distance between your Knees and the Floor. The one who Kneels to Allah (Ta'ala) can Stand Up to Anything.

#12 k79

k79

Sister

• Sisters
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

Salaam MIZZKATIE
where abouts are you located??? pm me and we can chat about the mosque if you like. i love going there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users