#1 AbuSufyaan

AbuSufyaan
  • Brothers
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

Did the Poms cheat?
David Penberthy

Posted Image

The short answer to the question is obviously “yes”. Not just because I’ve had four hours sleep. Not just because there’s a foot-shaped hole in our plasma television. Not just because, after retiring at 3.50am, I spent the next hour starting at the ceiling, going through the several stages of grief at this shocking non-result, moving from disappointed resignation, to intense sorrow, to where we are now - seething anger.

The inventors of cricket experiment with a 13-a-side formation.The inventors of cricket experiment with a 13-a-side formation.

The question “Did the Poms cheat?” was perhaps put most succintly by mate Steve, watching the game online in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, who inquired via text message in the final few overs this morning: “WHY IS THERE A MEMBER OF AL QAEDA HOLDING A F***ING GLOVE AND A FAT POM IN A TRACKSUIT OUT IN THE MIDDLE?” It’s a fair if offensively-crafted question, and one which is now on every Australian mind, none more so than Ricky Ponting.

Ponting has a bit of explaining to do. Talk about snatching defeat (OK, it was a draw, but it feels like a defeat to us) from the yawning jaws of victory. His decision to persist with Mitchell Johnson when he seemed to be aiming not at the stumps but square leg, and to bring on trundler Marcus North in the crucial final overs, will be the subject of valid scrutiny whatever his heroics with the bat.

But he’s absolutely within his rights to question the not-one-but-two appearances made on the ground in the final overs by 12th man Bilal Shafayat, holding a pair of gloves as a prop, and English physiotherapist Steve McCaig, who clearly keeps the team in shape by eating all the pies.

Ponting rightly queried why a bloke who’d been batting for less than an hour (James Anderson) and his partner (Monty Panesar) who’d been in for all of two overs would need any attention from the physio at all. In fact all McCaig did was pat Anderson on the backside when he came out, prompting the commentators on Fox Sports Three to quip: “Well, that’s made a lot of difference.”

“I don’t think it was required, he (Anderson) changed (gloves) the over before,” Ponting said.

“I don’t think they’d be too sweaty in one over. I’m not sure what the physio was doing out there, I didn’t see anyone call for the physio to come out, as far as I’m concerned, it was pretty ordinary really.

“But they can play whatever way they want to play. We came to play by the rules and the spirit of the game, it’s up to them to do what they want to do.”

You can read Ponting’s full account here.

In trying to defend his tactics, England captain Andrew Strauss rabbited on about how Anderson had spilt some gatorade on his glove, clearly a life or death situation. But with one comment he unwittingly admitted he was playing silly buggers.

“Our intentions were good. We weren’t out there to waste a huge amount of time,” he said.

That’s precisely the point. England didn’t need to waste a huge amount of time. Just enough time to get them to the 6.50pm cut-off, which they did.

It’s unclear whether any members of this team will receive knighthoods, they are already being hailed by the Brits as heroes.

Sadly that’s the only thing we Aussies can take out of this game - a bit of juvenile teasing of the Poms for celebrating a game they didn’t actually win, and which we should have.

Anyway I’m going to bed. And Steve, good luck fixing your laptop.

http://www.thepunch....-ashes-ponting/
Rob my resources, invade my land,& call it "Democracy"

#2 jasminee

jasminee

*The Mooooooslims! They're heeere!*

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

Muslim = Al Qaeda … Penbo’s Punch in Top Comic Form

By Jarrod Kimber

Tuesday, 14 July 2009

There are some Australian cricket fans still furious at England’s time wasting to draw the first Ashes Test at Cardiff, none more so than “Steve”, the mysterious friend of David Penberthy, Editor of The Punch.

In an article published yesterday, Penberthy uses an SMS from “Steve” in the USA to take the long handle to England’s tactics:

The question “Did the Poms cheat?” was perhaps put most succintly by mate Steve, watching the game online in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, who inquired via text message in the final few overs this morning: “WHY IS THERE A MEMBER OF AL QAEDA HOLDING A F***ING GLOVE AND A FAT POM IN A TRACKSUIT OUT IN THE MIDDLE?” It’s a fair if offensively-crafted question, and one which is now on every Australian mind, none more so than Ricky Ponting.

I know what you are thinking, how dare Penberthy’s friend Steve call Steve McCraig (England’s Physio) a fat Pom, he is an Australian after all. But if you look beyond the fat Pom quote, you may see the reference to Al Qaeda, which was aimed at Bilal Shafayat from Nottinghamshire who was 13th man for this game. Bilal is a Muslim. Which apparently means he is in the perfect candidate to be labelled a terrorist for comedy’s sake.

The English media hasn’t caught onto this yet, but there is a fair chance that when they do, they won’t take it as the “fair if offensively-crafted question” Penberthy describes it as. They might jump to the rather extreme conclusion that calling a Muslim cricketer a member of Al Qaeda is more than offensive — that it is racist — even if he was wasting time on the cricket field. However, it was nice of Penberthy to censor the word “f-cking”, as that would have really offended people.

It was only three years ago that Dean Jones was commentating in Sri Lanka and accidentally let slip the famous “the terrorist has got another wicket” as Hashim Amla of South Africa took a catch. Amla is also a Muslim.

There are rumours that various cricket boards may have been informed of this, and if so, how long before lawyers get involved? Steve’s mate Dave could find a nasty letter arriving shortly. And to think all this could have been avoided if Australia had just taken one wicket in the 69 balls they had.

Bloody Al Qaeda.

http://www.crikey.co...-from-al-qaeda/

Posted Image

Australian captain Ricky Ponting looks at England's 12th man Bilal Shafayat who brings out some batting gloves - Photo: AFP
This dirty capitalist world is a WARmongering zone. If U really want Peace, work 4 real Justice!

Listen: I'd prefer it if U didn't reduce me to a suffix of terrorism, extremism, fundamentalism ...I tell you I'm bored, By your laziness![RAF]

#3 jasminee

jasminee

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

Did the Poms Cheat?

By David Penberthy

13 July 2009 11:08am

120 comments

http://www.thepunch....-ashes-ponting/

The short answer to the question is obviously “yes”. Not just because I’ve had four hours sleep. Not just because there’s a foot-shaped hole in our plasma television. Not just because, after retiring at 3.50am, I spent the next hour starting at the ceiling, going through the several stages of grief at this shocking non-result, moving from disappointed resignation, to intense sorrow, to where we are now - seething anger.

Ponting has a bit of explaining to do. Talk about snatching defeat (OK, it was a draw, but it feels like a defeat to us) from the yawning jaws of victory. His decision to persist with Mitchell Johnson when he seemed to be aiming not at the stumps but square leg, and to bring on trundler Marcus North in the crucial final overs, will be the subject of valid scrutiny whatever his heroics with the bat.

But he’s absolutely within his rights to question the not-one-but-two appearances made on the ground in the final overs by 12th man Bilal Shafayat, holding a pair of gloves as a prop, and English physiotherapist Steve McCaig, who clearly keeps the team in shape by eating all the pies.

Ponting rightly queried why a bloke who’d been batting for less than an hour (James Anderson) and his partner (Monty Panesar) who’d been in for all of two overs would need any attention from the physio at all. In fact all McCaig did was pat Anderson on the backside when he came out, prompting the commentators on Fox Sports Three to quip: “Well, that’s made a lot of difference.”

“I don’t think it was required, he (Anderson) changed (gloves) the over before,” Ponting said.

“I don’t think they’d be too sweaty in one over. I’m not sure what the physio was doing out there, I didn’t see anyone call for the physio to come out, as far as I’m concerned, it was pretty ordinary really.

“But they can play whatever way they want to play. We came to play by the rules and the spirit of the game, it’s up to them to do what they want to do.”

You can read Ponting’s full account here.

In trying to defend his tactics, England captain Andrew Strauss rabbited on about how Anderson had spilt some gatorade on his glove, clearly a life or death situation. But with one comment he unwittingly admitted he was playing silly buggers.

“Our intentions were good. We weren’t out there to waste a huge amount of time,” he said.

That’s precisely the point. England didn’t need to waste a huge amount of time. Just enough time to get them to the 6.50pm cut-off, which they did.

It’s unclear whether any members of this team will receive knighthoods, they are already being hailed by the Brits as heroes.

Sadly that’s the only thing we Aussies can take out of this game - a bit of juvenile teasing of the Poms for celebrating a game they didn’t actually win, and which we should have.

Anyway I’m going to bed. And Steve, good luck fixing your laptop.

Posted Image

The inventors of cricket experiment with a 13-a-side formation.

http://www.thepunch....avid-penberthy/
This dirty capitalist world is a WARmongering zone. If U really want Peace, work 4 real Justice!

Listen: I'd prefer it if U didn't reduce me to a suffix of terrorism, extremism, fundamentalism ...I tell you I'm bored, By your laziness![RAF]

#4 AbuSufyaan

AbuSufyaan
  • Brothers
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

It was only three years ago that Dean Jones was commentating in Sri Lanka and accidentally let slip the famous “the terrorist has got another wicket” as Hashim Amla of South Africa took a catch. Amla is also a Muslim.

I cant wait for Media watch Next week :D they going cover this story :D

#5 jasminee

jasminee

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

This is not the FIRST TIME that the News Limited's editors, journalists, and columnists making, promoting and inciting slanderous and xenophobic anti -Muslim commentaries <_< , and this Penberthy's latest is not really surprising .. :( :evil:

#6 AbuSufyaan

AbuSufyaan
  • Brothers
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

yes it not the laters but when is going stop When those News Limited Journos going stop?

#7 tr3x

tr3x
  • Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

Penberthy is the lowest form of human being on the planet, he has made his living by vilifying and attacking people, the guy is scum.
"I'm not as forgiving toward the muslim community"- Philip, showing his true colors.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users