13 replies to this topic

#1 Bint Halal

Bint Halal

DAM3ET 7OZN

• Former Member
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

:salam:

I came across this hadith upon reading about the coming month of Muharram. Just a question isnt Ramadhan a sacred month as well?

Volume 4, Book 54, Number 419:

Narrated Abu Bakra: The Prophet said. "(The division of time has turned to its original form which was current when Allah created the Heavens and the Earths. The year is of twelve months, out of which four months are sacred: Three are in succession Dhul-Qa' da, Dhul-Hijja and Muharram, and (the fourth is) Rajab of (the tribe of) Mudar which comes between Jumadi-ath-Thaniyah and Sha ban."

Don't tell people not to tell you certain things, because they'll tell you exactly what you told them not to tell you!

Always Guilty before the sin, I can't win!

Khaybar, Khaybar yaa yahood, jayshu Muhammad sawfa ya’ood

#2 Al-muntahaa

Al-muntahaa
  • Members
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

Just a question isnt Ramadhan a sacred month as well?

No. Jihad is prohibited in sacred months, yet we see battles like Badr and Uhud taking place in Ramadan.
We have guided missiles and misguided men - MLK

#3 Bint Halal

Bint Halal

DAM3ET 7OZN

• Former Member
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

JazakAllah Khair :)
Don't tell people not to tell you certain things, because they'll tell you exactly what you told them not to tell you!

#4 mr Eazy

mr Eazy
  • Brothers
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

Ramadan is sacred in the sense that we increase our acts of devotion in that period, but that is sacred in a different context. (We dedicate that month to praying the nights and fasting in the day- how is that not sacred? we do sanctify that month- but in a different context)

If i am correct, these 4 months are sacred from the pre-islamic era which islam came and accepted and restored them to their proper places.

Muharram - means "the banned month". many things were banned in this month to the ancient arabs

Dhul Qaida "a month of sitting (or was it standing?) " so you'd be sitting and not fighting or cheating, its a time of understanding and sitting around the table

Dhul Hijjah - a month of pilgrimage- lay down arms and quarrels and go to Makkah

Rajab - i forgot the literal meaning- but it means roughly: a month of ta3zeem- a month of self improvement- making yourself upright with Allah- a month of raising your qualities and honour and nobleness- definitely not a time to be wasted either...

#5 Bint Halal

Bint Halal

DAM3ET 7OZN

• Former Member
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

thanks mr eazy

#6 Tamer

Tamer
  • Banned
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

what about 2:194 in the Qur'aan..
doesn't that refer to Ramadan in the sense you're asking about ..

#7 Bint Halal

Bint Halal

DAM3ET 7OZN

• Former Member
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

الشَّهْرُ الْحَرَامُ بِالشَّهْرِ الْحَرَامِ وَالْحُرُمَـتُ قِصَاصٌ فَمَنِ اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ فَاعْتَدُواْ عَلَيْهِ بِمِثْلِ مَا اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُواْ اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُواْ أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ

194. The sacred month is for the sacred month, and for the prohibited things, there is the Law of equality (Qisas). Then whoever transgresses against you, you transgress likewise against him. And fear Allah, and know that Allah is with Al-Muttaqin.

Tamer I don't understand your question sorry :unsure:

#8 mr Eazy

mr Eazy
  • Brothers
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

what about 2:194 in the Qur'aan..
doesn't that refer to Ramadan in the sense you're asking about ..

EDIT: that is not correct.

#9 abuhadi

abuhadi
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

No. Jihad is prohibited in sacred months, yet we see battles like Badr and Uhud taking place in Ramadan.

not to mention the murder of Imam Hussien and his family.
Labayka ya Hussein.

#10 SeekTheTruth

SeekTheTruth
  • Banned
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

not to mention the murder of Imam Hussien and his family.

It can't be said though that the murderers were fighting 'Jihad', the Mujahideen would have been Hussein r.a and those who fought alongside him.
Say: Verily those who invent a lie concerning Allah will not succeed! 10:69

#11 mr Eazy

mr Eazy
  • Brothers
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

that is correct.

sorry i meant to say that that wasn't correct...
The hadiths say that there are 4 sacred months. Haram months. haram means sacred - well not really . but sacred does not mean haram exactly either. But anyways, we treat Ramadan as sacred- because of our actions therein, it is a month sanctioned by God to be one for gaining taqwah, it is a month of divine Mercy, an angel where angels descend and satans are chained. thats what i meant by sacred- in that sense, but not to add to what the hadiths mention.

2:194 The sacred month, in return, for the sacred month, therefore, just as they fight you during it, kill them during it: a response to the Muslims’ consideration of the momentous nature of this matter; holy things (hurumāt, plural of hurma, is what must be treated as sacrosanct) demand retaliation, in kind if these [holy things] are violated; whoever commits aggression against you, through fighting in the Sacred Enclosure, or during a state of ritual purity or in the sacred months, then commit aggression against him in the manner that he committed against you, the [Muslim] response is also referred to as ‘aggression’, because that is what it resembles formally; and fear God, when avenging yourselves and [by] renouncing aggression, and know that God is with the God-fearing, helping and assisting [them].

#12 Bint Halal

Bint Halal

DAM3ET 7OZN

• Former Member
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

mr eazy that translation that you posted up of surah 2 ayah 194 is longer than the translation i have. How come? Its more in depth...

#13 Al-muntahaa

Al-muntahaa
  • Members
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

إِنَّ عِدَّةَ الشُّهُورِ عِندَ اللّهِ اثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْرًا فِي كِتَابِ اللّهِ يَوْمَ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَات وَالأَرْضَ مِنْهَا أَرْبَعَةٌ حُرُمٌ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ فَلاَ تَظْلِمُواْ فِيهِنَّ أَنفُسَكُمْ وَقَاتِلُواْ الْمُشْرِكِينَ كَآفَّةً كَمَا يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ كَآفَّةً وَاعْلَمُواْ أَنَّ اللّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ

Lo! the number of the months with Allah is twelve months by Allah's ordinance in the day that He created the heavens and the earth. Four of them are sacred: that is the right religion. So wrong not yourselves in them. And wage war on all the idolaters as they are waging war on all of you. And know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him). [Quran 9:36]

Muft Shafi'i Tafsir Ma'arif al-quran see pages: 373 - 378:

http://www.islamibay...age-347-405.pdf
We have guided missiles and misguided men - MLK

#14 mr Eazy

mr Eazy
  • Brothers
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

mr eazy that translation that you posted up of surah 2 ayah 194 is longer than the translation i have. How come? Its more in depth...

http://www.altafsir.com

sorry about that... yeah its quite good

i cant wait till they translate Ar Razi's tafsir, but i wont hold my breath- it'll take some time... i'd like to see more translations available online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users