Arab-israeli Conflict

679 replies to this topic

#661 Yehudit

Yehudit

I am Woman

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

This short video gives a window into what some Palestinians have to put up with. I´d be interested in Yehudits comments on it.
http://www.informati...rticle28280.htm

Sam, I'm not up on the Sheikh Jarrah issue, although I have heard of it. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Jarrah :

At the Ottoman census of 1905, the Sheikh Jarrah nahiye (sub-district) consisted of the Muslim quarters of Sheikh Jarrah, Hayy el-Huseyni, Wadi el-Joz and Bab ez-Zahira, and the Jewish quarters of Shim'on Hatsadik and Nahalat Shim'on. Its population was counted as 167 Muslim families, 97 Jewish families, and 6 Christian families.

[my insert - in 1948, Sheikh Jarrah came under Jordanian control, in 1967 it came under Israeli control]

In 1972, the Sephardic Community Committee and the Knesset Yisrael Committee went to court to reclaim their property in the neighborhood. In 1982, they demanded rent for this property and the Supreme Court of Israel ruled in their favor. The tenants were allowed to remain as long as they paid rent.

Jewish groups have sought to regain property in Sheikh Jarrah once owned by Jews, including the Shepherd Hotel compound, the Mufti's Vineyard, the building of the el-Ma'amuniya school, the Simeon the Just/Shimon HaTzadik compound, and the Nahlat Shimon neighborhood. At the same time, according to Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, foreign investors from Arab states, particularly the Persian Gulf, are actively seeking to purchase properties to further Palestinian interests. Many offers have been made to families in the neighborhood to sell their property to Jewish and Saudi groups.

My comment as to the video, as I said before, I do not know the details, only what I've seen in the video and now on Wiki. There appears to be two issues here: legal and ethical. The legalities are who owns the properties, which particular families? What is the legal ownership status of properties left behind by refugees? In this case Jewish refugees from Sheikh Jarrah. The ethical issue is how to be fair to all concerned parties, to the original Jewish owners and to the Arabs who have been living in Jewish houses for over 60 years. In this issue of this particular house, it does not seem fair that Jews or anyone should move into the front illegal extension of a house that is inhabited by an Arab family, unless invited to by that family. Normally, as far as I understand, illegal extensions or buildings, whether by Jews or Arabs, are often demolished.

This Sheikh Jarrah is perhaps a microcosm of the broader refugee issues, of Arab refugees who left property in Israel and of Jewish refugees who left property in the Arab world, including the West Bank and Gaza. In all practicality, neither group will be returning to their homes and businesses, and in many cases the buildings no longer exist. Therefore, compensation is the most likely best option.
I am a Jew come to MuslimVillage to learn about Islam from Muslims, and to engage in discussions with Muslims.

#662 Yehudit

Yehudit

I am Woman

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

since joining up at mv i have been questioned on matters to do with the arab-israeli conflict... hence, my starting this new thread...

Two and a half years later...
23 pages, 660 replies
I am a Jew come to MuslimVillage to learn about Islam from Muslims, and to engage in discussions with Muslims.

#663 Nowzad

Nowzad
  • Banned
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

Israel wants to continue talking about peace while taking piece after piece of Palestinian land.

#664 Kostas

Kostas

Agnostic Greek Australian

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

Avaaz.org says a two state solution .... Along which borders might that be?

Avaaz.org a George Sorros associated Foundation

http://endrtimes.blo...ernational.html

DONATE To Israel.......http://avaaz.org/en/change_in_israel/

Your search - zionism site:avaaz.org/en - did not match any documents.

Your search - zionist site:avaaz.org/en - 1 result
http://www.avaaz.org/en/loyalty

"Avaaz is inspiring… it has already made a significant difference."
–Al Gore

Open society Institute/Open Society Foundation = George Sorros
http://en.wikipedia....ciety_Institute
http://www.soros.org/

"Avaaz partners at the Open Society Institute."
http://www.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2

http://thecanadianse...ed-to-nazi.html

Aaaand... Sorros as the antisemite
http://www.rense.com...ral45/anati.htm

As an Australian of Greek lineage, with who knows... perhaps some Turkish that nobody in my clan has spoken of [wink].. I wish to examine all, and as a lover of free speech (short of inciting harm to others) I expect the right to critique all as freely as anyone.
Just like Socrates.. but keep your hemlock.
My opinions are my own and not necessarily endorsed by anyone.

ps
Any barcode beginning with 729.... is not a perfect way of telling when a product is from Israel, but it is a good rule of thumb.

#665 Kostas

Kostas

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Accusations of illegal human organ harvesting or trading have been made before, against Israelis and even Jewish Rabbis in USA.

In turn, accusations of antisemitism and 'blood libel' have been offered as a defence.

It turns out that in those cases the accusations against the organ traders were well founded.

We'll see what happens this time.
‘Israel major organ harvesting center’
By MOHAMMED MAR’I
http://uruknet.info/...&hd=&size=1&l=e

For frequent Mid East news, commentary, and analysis; visit daily at http://www.uruknet.info
As an Australian of Greek lineage, with who knows... perhaps some Turkish that nobody in my clan has spoken of [wink].. I wish to examine all, and as a lover of free speech (short of inciting harm to others) I expect the right to critique all as freely as anyone.

ps
Any barcode beginning with 729.... is not a perfect way of telling when a product is from Israel, but it is a good rule of thumb.

#666 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Educators can’t stay silent about Israeli apartheid

J. Kēhaulani Kauanui, Robin D.G. Kelley, Bill V. Mullen, Nikhil Pal Singh and Neferti Tadiar

The Electronic Intifada
13 February 2012

Posted Image

Israeli apartheid must not go unchallenged.(Mahfouz Abu Turk / APA images)

Today the systematic dispossession of the Palestinian people continues unabated and largely unchallenged by the United States and the European Union. Barriers to Palestinian mobility, social and political development are visible everywhere.

While Jewish-Israeli citizens pass freely, more than 500 police and military checkpoints regulate Palestinian movement between the occupied West Bank and Israel. Passing through these checkpoints on a recent fact-finding tour organized by the US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel, we witnessed Palestinians endure a daily ritual of subordination, humiliation and suspicion.

Abutting the Aida refugee camp near Bethlehem, the massive Israeli separation wallannexes Palestinian land for the expanding settlement of Gilo. For Palestinian families who find themselves on the “wrong” side of the wall, what had once been a short walk to school now takes several hours.

Since 1992, Jewish-Israeli settlement within the West Bank has increased by more than 50 percent; some 500,000 Jewish settlers now live among 2.5 million Palestinians. Walled, gated and connected by a sophisticated road network that bypasses the dilapidated infrastructure used by Palestinians, these illegal settlements maintain privileged access to the most fertile lands, water and energy resources.

In Hebron, a few hundred Jewish settlers backed by the Israeli military control the eastern part of the city inhabited by some 35,000 Palestinians. There we saw how settlers have seized houses above the souq, the main market street, and pummeled Arab merchants with garbage, excrement and acid in order to strangle the commercial life of the city and render it prone to future settlement.

Second class citizens

Israel’s status as the one true “democracy” in the region rests in part on the myth that the 1.5 million Palestinians living within Israel enjoy equal rights. In truth, they are Israel’s second-class citizens, governed by exceptional legal proscriptions and subject to special scrutiny by the security services.

Palestinian citizens of Israel do not have the right to live with their spouses from the West Bank, Gaza, or overseas inside the post-1948 boundaries of Israel. They are denied many social benefits and employment opportunities because, unlike Jews, they are not required to perform mandatory military service — a prerequisite for housing subsidies, government or security jobs.

Meanwhile, any person whom the state recognizes as Jewish can settle inside Israel, the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and receive instant citizenship, residency rights, as well as housing and education subsidies. In short, Israel’s legal regime and political culture discriminates against Palestinian citizens on the basis of their ethnicity and nationality. The objective is to “purify” the Jewish state by substantially reducing or transferring Palestinians beyond its walls and borders — a direct violation of international law and human rights.

Houses pillaged

We witnessed first hand the human scale of this violation in East Jerusalem. We heard testimony from four Palestinian families in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem, refugees from 1948, who in November 2008 and August 2009, were forcibly evicted from their homes in the dead of night by the Israeli military. Their houses were pillaged and seized by settlers who tossed their belongings into the street.

We learned that Israel denies residency permits to some 10,000 Palestinian children who live in East Jerusalem because their parents live in the rest of the West Bank or in Gaza, thus curtailing their access to education, health and social services. Meanwhile, Jewish settlements in East Jerusalem have been linked to the western half of the city by a state-of-the-art light rail system built by the French transportation giant Veolia, in direct violation of the 1907 Hague Regulations on the laws and customs of war which prohibit infrastructural changes that do not benefit the occupied population or serve a military purpose.

The evictions, demolitions, population and zoning restrictions, new infrastructure and walling projects in East Jerusalem aim to produce a Jewish demographic majority throughout what Israelis call “Greater Jerusalem.” Since 1992, more than 110,000 Palestinian residents of Jerusalem have been effectively expelled from the city by the separation wall, which the International Court of Justice advisory opinion found violates international law in 2004.

The justification for these appalling violations of Palestinian human rights and human dignity is defense of Israeli security in the face of terrorism. We do not accept security as a rationale for the dispossession of an entire people, for the racist devaluation of their lives, or for the blatant disregard of their claims to social and political rights and economic opportunity.

America’s culpability

For this reason, we question why our own government continues to subsidize the Israeli occupation to the tune of $8.6 million per day. Indeed, we believe that the militarization of security that Israel and the US increasingly share is a source of escalating violence in the region, not peace and stability as it purports to be.

As members of an international community of scholars, cultural workers and activists, we are attuned to the role that knowledge production, dissemination and exchange plays in both upholding and challenging relations of unequal power. Palestinian scholars and students do not enjoy academic freedom under occupation. Israel has routinely closed Palestinian universities under security pretext, denied visas to international and Palestinian scholars living abroad who have faculty appointments in the occupied West Bank, blocked imports of equipment needed to teach basic science and engineering, and prevented Gaza students from attending West Bank universities.

Even Israeli scholars who dissent from state policy are marginalized and harassed. And yet, most Israeli (as well as US) academic institutions have been either silent or complicit in the face of Palestinian scientific and educational suffocation. Israeli universities are culpable for violating Palestinian human rights and international law — from expropriating Palestinian lands to providing demographic, sociological, medical, legal and scientific research in the service of Israel’s apartheid policies.

Boycott: a tool of solidarity

While other countries may have worse human rights records, Israel is the world’s most egregious example of an occupation that has persisted for almost half a century in flagrant violation of international law. Neither periodic pressure from diplomats and non-governmental organizations, nor international legal judgments condemning Israel’s wall in the West Bank, the settlements, or the siege of Gaza, nor the ongoing, and now visibly fraudulent “peace process” itself, have pierced the veil of Israeli impunity.

In response to a call from within Palestinian civil society, we therefore declare our support for the US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel. The academic and cultural boycott emerges in the context of a broader call for boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel until it fully abides by its obligations under international law.

The call for boycott has been endorsed by a majority of Palestinian unions, political parties, non-governmental organization networks and civic organizations. We believe that it is one of the more hopeful signs in ongoing Palestinian resistance to occupation and systemic inequality within Israel and a powerful means to build international solidarity with the Palestinian people.

We refuse to be silent or passive in the face of gross violations of principles of universal human rights that both Israel and the US publicly purport to uphold. As was the case with the US removal of tribal nations, the US South under anti-black “Jim Crow” laws, or South Africa under apartheid, Palestine today is the measure of the meaning and value of human rights in our time.

By challenging injustice there, we call into question US and Israeli state policies that normalize military colonialism, mass incarceration and permanent war - a security regime for the global one percent that today jeopardizes basic aspirations for opportunity and freedom. Prospects for self-determination and human rights wither under heavily policed states, particularly those subject to occupation, colonialism, segregation, or discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality or religion.

We urge our academic colleagues to join us in endorsing the US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel and upholding the principles of boycott, divestment and sanctions in solidarity with our Palestinian counterparts. We believe that the perpetuation of the international travesty of colonial occupation in a post-colonial world must be brought to an end for it ultimately threatens the rights, dignity and security of everyone who believes in self-determination, equal justice and human rights.

J. Kēhaulani Kauanui is an associate professor of anthropology and American studies in Wesleyan University; Robin D.G. Kelley is a professor of American history at the University of California Los Angeles; Bill V. Mullen is a professor of English and American studies in Purdue University; Nikhil Pal Singh is an associate professor of social and cultural analysis and history in New York University; Neferti Tadiar is a professor and chair of women’s, gender and sexuality studies in Barnard College.

http://electronicint...apartheid/10928
http://www.bdsmovement.net
< International Campaign of boycotts, divestment and sanctions against RACIST, FASCIST and TERRORIST Israeli-Zionism>

"Zionism contradicts Judaism" (Rabbi Dovid Weiss - Neturei Karta)

#667 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

We asked some people "Say something a Zionist has said to you"....

http://www.existenceisresistance.org/
< International Campaign of boycotts, divestment and sanctions against RACIST, FASCIST and TERRORIST Israeli-Zionism>

#668 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

http://www.imemc.org/article/59843

The International Middle East Media Center: Israeli Government Documents Show Deliberate Policy To Keep Gazans At Near-starvation Levels

#669 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Australia: Israeli Apartheid Week

Posted Image

http://coalitionforp...ent-events/iaw/

#670 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

What one-state solution in Palestine could look like

Ad­vo­cat­ing the one-state so­lu­tion for Is­rael and Pales­tine is be­com­ing far more ac­cepted as the most just out­come. One per­son, one vote for all cit­i­zens, re­gard­ing of race, re­li­gion or back­ground. Like a nor­mal democ­racy, in other words.

Aus­tralian aca­d­e­mic John Docker sent me de­tails of the fol­low­ing state­ment – Docker has a his­tory of sup­port­ing true democ­racy in the re­gion – which was re­leased glob­ally re­cently:

I. We, the un­der­signed, Pales­tini­ans and Is­raelis, be­lieve that the his­toric land of Pales­tine should be shared by all those who now live in it and its na­tives who have been ex­pelled or ex­iled from it since 1948, and their de­scen­dants, re­gard­less of re­li­gion, eth­nic­ity, na­tional ori­gin or cur­rent cit­i­zen­ship sta­tus. Cog­nisant of the great changes in the Mid­dle East in­clud­ing the re­cent Arab up­ris­ings, we con­ceive of our move­ment as part of the drive to­wards democ­racy, ac­count­abil­ity, trans­parency, equal­ity and eco­nomic and so­cial jus­tice in the re­gion. We in­tend to build a model state in the re­gion, rooted in equal cit­i­zen­ship, pop­u­lar democ­racy and in­sti­tu­tional jus­tice.

II. We, Pales­tini­ans and Is­raelis, united and en­riched in our di­ver­sity, fully recog­nise the his­toric in­jus­tices in­flicted on the in­dige­nous Pales­tin­ian pop­u­la­tion, in­clud­ing the eth­nic cleans­ing of the 1948 Nakba; sup­port all those who are work­ing to build a de­mo­c­ra­tic, plu­ral­is­tic, sec­u­lar state (based on the sep­a­ra­tion of re­li­gion and state), that en­com­passes all of his­toric Pales­tine (cur­rently the po­lit­i­cal en­ti­ties of the State of Is­rael and the post-1967 Is­raeli-oc­cu­pied Pales­tin­ian Ter­ri­to­ries); and ho­n­our all those who suf­fered for jus­tice, equal­ity and free­dom in our land.

III. We re­ject the tragic 1947 UN Par­ti­tion Plan, di­vid­ing the coun­try into two en­ti­ties, and the ter­ri­ble dam­age it has wrought on the coun­try; this Res­o­lu­tion was used by the Zion­ist lead­er­ship as an ex­cuse for the forced ex­pul­sion of 750,000 Pales­tini­ans from their homes in the Nakba of 1948. Since then Is­rael has pre­vented the refugees from re­turn­ing to their homes, and the in­ter­na­tional com­mu­nity has failed to en­able their re­turn.

IV. We recog­nise that for decades ef­forts to bring about a two-state so­lu­tion based on a par­ti­tion of the land of Pales­tine into a Pales­tin­ian en­tity in 22 per­cent of his­toric Pales­tine, and an Is­raeli one in 78 per­cent, have failed be­cause they fell short of pro­vid­ing el­e­men­tary jus­tice. Based on a pol­icy of sep­a­ra­tion, frag­men­ta­tion and in­equal­ity, the two-state so­lu­tion ig­nores the phys­i­cal and po­lit­i­cal re­al­i­ties on the ground, and pre­sumes a false sym­me­try of power and moral claims be­tween an in­dige­nous, colonised and oc­cu­pied peo­ple on the one hand, and a colonis­ing state and mil­i­tary oc­cu­pier on the other. In­deed, ever since 1967, Is­rael has acted to make a two-state so­lu­tion im­pos­si­ble by a range of il­le­gal ac­tiv­i­ties, chiefly the build­ing of il­le­gal set­tle­ments, con­fis­ca­tion of land, bru­tal re­pres­sion of the Pales­tin­ian pop­u­la­tion, and the build­ing of the Apartheid Wall. More­over, Is­rael’s on­go­ing sys­tem­atic dis­crim­i­na­tion against Pales­tini­ans, which in­cludes prac­tices such as forced trans­fer, set­tler-colo­nial­ism of the areas oc­cu­pied in 1967, as well as in areas of Pales­tine after 1948, seg­re­ga­tion, ghet­toi­sa­tion, and the sep­a­ra­tion wall (de­clared il­le­gal by the In­ter­na­tional Court of Jus­tice in 2004), de­nial of cit­i­zen­ship and basic human rights and free­doms, is con­sis­tent with the crime of Apartheid as de­fined by the In­ter­na­tional Con­ven­tion on the Sup­pres­sion and Pun­ish­ment of the Crime of Apartheid; and the 2002 Rome Statute of the In­ter­na­tional Crim­i­nal Court.

V. Seek­ing and work­ing for a bet­ter fu­ture of se­cu­rity, equal­ity and jus­tice and equal op­por­tu­nity for all, we be­lieve in pop­u­lar, non-vi­o­lent re­sis­tance and sup­port the cre­ation of a move­ment com­mit­ted to the es­tab­lish­ment of the fu­ture Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine that can serve and meet the as­pi­ra­tions and hopes of all of its cit­i­zens. This will be achieved in con­junc­tion with the in­ter­na­tional cam­paign for boy­cott, di­vest­ment and sanc­tions (BDS) against the apartheid Is­raeli state, and has the po­ten­tial to bring sub­stan­tial pres­sure to bear on Is­rael and its sup­port­ers.

VI. Our new one-state move­ment brings to­gether Pales­tini­ans and Is­raelis in part­ner­ship, sup­ported by a global sol­i­dar­ity move­ment based on the prin­ci­ples and pro­gramme out­lined below. We call on all those who cher­ish free­dom, lib­erty, jus­tice, equal­ity, and democ­racy and re­ject racism and seg­re­ga­tion to join us in build­ing our move­ment. We be­lieve this move­ment will change the face and fu­ture of the Mid­dle East, and fi­nally bring peace and se­cu­rity for the peo­ple in the Mid­dle East, and for peo­ple around the world.

Found­ing Prin­ci­ples and Po­lit­i­cal Pro­gramme

We call for a Con­sti­tu­tion for the Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine based on the fol­low­ing prin­ci­ples:

1. Con­sti­tu­tion and a Bill of Rights: The peo­ple of Pales­tine, Pales­tini­ans and Is­raelis, through their freely elected rep­re­sen­ta­tives, will adopt a Con­sti­tu­tion and a Bill of Rights as the supreme law of the Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine.

2. Su­premacy of Con­sti­tu­tion: The Con­sti­tu­tion will be the supreme law of the Re­pub­lic, guar­an­tee­ing sep­a­ra­tion of pow­ers (ex­ec­u­tive, leg­isla­tive and ju­di­cial), and guar­an­tee­ing the rights of cit­i­zens vis-a-vis the state. The Con­sti­tu­tion will be voted on by the cit­i­zens of the Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine and adopted by a two-thirds ma­jor­ity, with con­sti­tu­tional amend­ments meet­ing the same re­quire­ments.

3. Bill of Rights and Cit­i­zens’ Char­ter: The Bill of Rights with its Cit­i­zens’ Char­ter will guar­an­tee the rights and free­doms of all in­di­vid­u­als in the state. Basic cit­i­zens’ rights in­clude, among oth­ers, hous­ing, health, ed­u­ca­tion, em­ploy­ment, so­cial and legal pro­tec­tion, free­dom of move­ment, a ban on racial, re­li­gious and gen­der dis­crim­i­na­tion, and equal op­por­tu­nity for all.

4. Truth and Rec­on­cil­i­a­tion Com­mis­sion: The Con­sti­tu­tion will seek to re­dress the dev­as­tat­ing ef­fects of set­tler-colo­nial Zion­ism on the in­dige­nous Pales­tini­ans, and other op­pressed groups, such as Mizrahi Jews (“Arab Jews”), and to ad­dress the struc­tural in­jus­tices, in­equal­i­ties and di­vi­sions of the past. In­spired by the Truth and Rec­on­cil­i­a­tion Com­mis­sion of post-apartheid South Africa, it will pro­mote truth and rec­on­cil­i­a­tion be­tween all the di­verse peo­ples of Pales­tine.

5. Jerusalem/Al-Quds: The City of Jerusalem will be the Cap­i­tal of the Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine and will be one city, open to and equally shared by all.

6. The Right of Re­turn: The im­ple­men­ta­tion of the Right of Re­turn and repa­ra­tions for Pales­tin­ian refugees in ac­cor­dance with UN Res­o­lu­tion 194 is a fun­da­men­tal pil­lar of peace based on jus­tice and the bench­mark of human dig­nity, lib­erty and equal­ity. Pales­tin­ian self-de­ter­mi­na­tion will be ad­dressed through full de­mo­c­ra­tic rights and equal­ity in a uni­tary state. The Con­sti­tu­tion will es­tab­lish the legal and in­sti­tu­tional frame­works for jus­tice, rec­on­cil­i­a­tion and in­te­gra­tion of the Pales­tin­ian re­turnees.

7. Fun­da­men­tal Uni­ver­sal Rights: The Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine will be founded on the prin­ci­ples of human dig­nity, human rights, equal­ity and equal rights, free­doms and equal op­por­tu­ni­ties; su­premacy of the Con­sti­tu­tion and the rule of law, uni­ver­sal adult suf­frage, par­lia­men­tary democ­racy, free­doms of ex­pres­sion, re­li­gion, lan­guage, move­ment, res­i­dence and as­sem­bly, reg­u­lar elec­tions, de­mo­c­ra­t­i­cally struc­tured in­sti­tu­tions, a multi-party sys­tem of de­mo­c­ra­tic, non-racist, non-sex­ist gov­ern­ment and the fun­da­men­tal rights and free­doms as ar­tic­u­lated and en­shrined in the Uni­ver­sal De­c­la­ra­tion of Human Rights and United Na­tions Covenants.

8. Equal­ity and Cit­i­zen­ship: The Con­sti­tu­tion will be founded on the prin­ci­ple that all peo­ple who live in his­toric Pales­tine as well as Pales­tin­ian refugees who re­alise their right of re­turn will have equal­ity of cit­i­zen­ship and equal­ity of stake. Equal cit­i­zen­ship will have the re­sult that the ex­ist­ing apartheid-based and dis­crim­i­na­tory laws and de­mo­graphic racism will be ab­ro­gated, to­gether with the whole in­sti­tu­tional sys­tem of Zion­ism. Our Con­sti­tu­tion will en­sure a state founded on the prin­ci­ples of equal­ity of cit­i­zen­ship, equal­ity be­tween women and men and non-dom­i­na­tion and equal­ity in civil, po­lit­i­cal, so­cial and cul­tural rights for all cit­i­zens and a fully in­te­grated so­ci­ety based on de­mo­c­ra­tic val­ues, eco­nomic and so­cial jus­tice and fun­da­men­tal human rights; lay the foun­da­tions for a de­mo­c­ra­tic and open so­ci­ety in which gov­ern­ment is based on the will of the peo­ple and every cit­i­zen is equally pro­tected by law. All cit­i­zens will be equally en­ti­tled to the rights and ben­e­fits of cit­i­zen­ship; and equally sub­ject to the du­ties and re­spon­si­bil­i­ties of cit­i­zen­ship. All or­gans of the state, in­clud­ing the courts, po­lice and ad­min­is­tra­tion of jus­tice shall rep­re­sent all the peo­ple of the land and shall de­fend, pro­tect, and pre­serve the prin­ci­ples of equal­ity and democ­racy. The laws of the state shall pro­vide all cit­i­zens with equal ac­cess to se­cu­rity, hous­ing, work, wel­fare, pub­lic lands, ed­u­ca­tion, health care, leisure, cul­tural ex­pres­sion and all the basic re­quire­ments for liv­ing in dig­nity and free­dom.

9. Cul­tural Di­ver­sity and Mul­ti­cul­tur­al­ism: The Con­sti­tu­tion will recog­nise and cel­e­brate the di­ver­sity of re­li­gion and cul­ture of the new so­ci­ety, and the dis­tinct lin­guis­tic and his­tor­i­cal tra­di­tions of the coun­try, con­sis­tent with the Uni­ver­sal De­c­la­ra­tion of Human Rights.

10. Pub­lic Land: The pub­lic land of the state shall be­long to all its cit­i­zens, who shall have equal ac­cess to it and ben­e­fits from its use. The own­ers of pri­vate prop­erty ex­pro­pri­ated from Pales­tin­ian refugees, and Pales­tin­ian cit­i­zens of Is­rael and Pales­tini­ans in the West Bank and Gaza shall be given the choice of the restora­tion of their prop­erty or repa­ra­tions for them­selves or their de­scen­dants. Con­sis­tent with the prin­ci­ples of the Con­sti­tu­tion and in­ter­na­tional law, the Jew­ish Na­tional Fund shall be dis­banded and as­sets held by this en­tity or the Is­rael Land Au­thor­ity re­turned to its right­ful own­ers, and what is left will be held in com­mon, or dis­trib­uted thor­ough fair and agreed mech­a­nisms.

11. Eco­nomic Jus­tice and Af­fir­ma­tive Ac­tion: In the new state, eco­nomic and so­cial jus­tice re­quires ad­dress­ing un­fair dis­tri­b­u­tion of re­sources that re­sulted from a long his­tory of in­equal­ity and racism. Sub­ject to uni­ver­sal equal­ity under the law, re­me­dial eco­nomic mea­sures (in­clud­ing af­fir­ma­tive ac­tion) shall be un­der­taken to re­dress past in­jus­tices, re­move seg­re­ga­tion and allow equal op­por­tu­nity. Such pro­grammes would en­sure so­cial har­mony and re­move the pos­si­bil­ity of main­tain­ing un­fair priv­i­leges by one group ac­quired through his­tor­i­cal seg­re­ga­tion and mo­nop­o­lies on use of land, water and oth­ers re­sources

12. Sep­a­ra­tion of Re­li­gion and State: The Con­sti­tu­tion will es­tab­lish a non-sec­tar­ian de­mo­c­ra­tic state based on the prin­ci­ple of sep­a­ra­tion of re­li­gion and state, its gov­ern­ing in­sti­tu­tions based on the prin­ci­ple of “one-per­son, one-vote”. There will be no spe­cific priv­i­leges or priv­i­leged rights ac­corded to any eth­nic or re­li­gious group or in­di­vid­ual. Eth­nic, re­li­gious, cul­tural or na­tional mi­nori­ties shall be pro­tected by law, but not as­signed any spe­cific rights.

13. Re­li­gious Free­dom and Re­li­gious Sites: The right to re­li­gious prac­tice shall be guar­an­teed by the state. Re­li­gious in­sti­tu­tions shall be vol­un­tary, to­tally sep­a­rate and in­de­pen­dent from the state, and shall re­ceive no fi­nan­cial sup­port from it. All res­i­dents of the state shall be free to prac­tice their re­li­gion and to wor­ship at sa­cred sites with­out im­ped­i­ment or dis­crim­i­na­tion. The state shall en­sure that all re­li­gions enjoy equal stand­ing be­fore the law, and that no re­li­gion im­pedes or has su­premacy over the other.

14. Civil Mar­riage and Fam­ily Law: The civil law of the state shall reign supreme and shall be the ul­ti­mate ref­er­ence in any dis­putes aris­ing be­tween cit­i­zens and be­tween cit­i­zens and re­li­gious in­sti­tu­tions. The state shall re­quire the reg­is­tra­tion of all re­li­gious and civil mar­riages and civil unions under prin­ci­ples of law that are non-dis­crim­i­na­tory as be­tween mar­riage and civil part­ners, ir­re­spec­tive of gen­der, re­li­gion, eth­nic­ity, or any other as­pect of iden­tity. The state will per­mit ad­ju­di­ca­tion by re­li­gious au­thor­i­ties (in­clud­ing courts) of dis­putes be­tween part­ners who agree to such ad­ju­di­ca­tion. The state it­self will be guided in mat­ters of fam­ily law by the fun­da­men­tal prin­ci­ples of equal­ity under the Con­sti­tu­tion. The state con­sti­tu­tional court shall be the final ar­biter for all legal is­sues aris­ing out of fam­ily law, mar­riages, di­vorces and in­her­i­tance.

15. United Na­tions Char­ter: The Con­sti­tu­tion will pro­mote the qual­ity of life and wel­fare of all cit­i­zens and free the po­ten­tial of each per­son; build a united and de­mo­c­ra­tic Pales­tine able to take its right­ful place as a sov­er­eign state in the fam­ily of na­tions and as a mem­ber of the United Na­tions. The state shall up­hold in­ter­na­tional law, and at all times seek the peace­ful res­o­lu­tion of con­flicts through ne­go­ti­a­tion and with re­gard to col­lec­tive se­cu­rity in ac­cor­dance with the United Na­tions Char­ter.

16. Of­fi­cial Lan­guages: The Con­sti­tu­tion shall recog­nise the dis­tinct his­tor­i­cal, lin­guis­tic and cul­tural tra­di­tions of Pales­tine. The of­fi­cial lan­guages of the Re­pub­lic will be Ara­bic, He­brew and Eng­lish. Recog­nis­ing the sta­tus of the of­fi­cial lan­guages of our peo­ple, the Re­pub­lic must take prac­ti­cal and pos­i­tive mea­sures to ad­vance the use of these lan­guages and sup­port a mutli-lin­gual ed­u­ca­tional sys­tem.

17. State Ed­u­ca­tion: The state shall guar­an­tee free pri­mary and sec­ondary ed­u­ca­tion for all chil­dren. Schools and cur­ric­ula shall teach pupils the his­tor­i­cal her­itage of their coun­try and re­gion, so that they may grasp, re­spect and ap­pre­ci­ate the ori­gins and his­tor­i­cal ex­pe­ri­ence of their fel­low cit­i­zens, strongly re­ject racism and doc­trines of seg­re­ga­tion, ho­n­our human rights, pro­tect human free­doms, and guard the peace, rights and se­cu­rity of all the peo­ple in the coun­try and the world. Ed­u­ca­tion and vo­ca­tional train­ing shall not be seg­re­gated in any way that im­pedes equal ac­cess of all cit­i­zens to em­ploy­ment and other op­por­tu­ni­ties to ful­fil their tal­ents and hopes.

18. Abo­li­tion of Cap­i­tal Pun­ish­ment and Out­law of Tor­ture: Within one year of the cre­ation of the new state laws will be passed out­law­ing cap­i­tal pun­ish­ment and pro­hibit­ing tor­ture in any form.

19. Im­mi­gra­tion Pol­icy: The state shall op­er­ate a trans­par­ent and non-dis­crim­i­na­tory im­mi­gra­tion pol­icy, and pro­vide a refuge for those seek­ing asy­lum from per­se­cu­tion, es­pe­cially racial or eth­nic per­se­cu­tion.

20. Nu­clear-free Zone in the Mid­dle East: The state shall seek and ac­tively con­tribute to the es­tab­lish­ment of a nu­clear-free zone in the Mid­dle East that shall also be free of all weapons of mass de­struc­tion. Is­rael’s weapons of mass de­struc­tion, in­clud­ing but not lim­ited to its ar­se­nal of nu­clear weapons, in­her­ited by the Re­pub­lic of Pales­tine shall be dis­man­tled or de­stroyed under the aus­pices of the United Na­tions and the In­ter­na­tional Atomic En­ergy Agency (IAEA) within one year of the cre­ation of the new state. The state through its Con­sti­tu­tion shall in­clude and in­cor­po­rate lim­i­ta­tions on the state to en­gage in wars and con­flicts out­side its bor­ders.

Draft­ing Com­mit­tee (in in­di­vid­ual ca­pac­ity)

1.​Dr Oren Ben-Dor, Uni­ver­sity of Southamp­ton, Southamp­ton
2.​Prof. George Bisharat, UC Hast­ings Col­lege of the Law, San Fran­cisco
3.​Prof. Haim Bresheeth, Uni­ver­sity of East Lon­don, Lon­don
4.​Dr Ghada Karmi, Eu­ro­pean Cen­tre for Pales­tine Stud­ies, Ex­eter Uni­ver­sity, Ex­eter
5.​Mr Sami Jamil Jadal­lah, In­ter­na­tional busi­ness con­sul­tant, Fair­fax, VA
6.​Prof. Nur Masalha, SOAS, Uni­ver­sity of Lon­don, Lon­don
7.​Prof. Mazin Qum­siyeh, Uni­ver­sity Beth­le­hem, Beth­le­hem

http://www.1not2.org...ne/English.html

#671 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Myth of Israel’s favorable treatment of Palestinian Christians

Posted Image
by Fida Jiryis - The Palestine Chronicle - 20 March 2012

Amb. Michael Oren’s article, ‘Israel and the Plight of Mideast Christians,’ presents Israel as a tolerant, dove-like, and peaceful democracy. This is belied by the facts.

I am one of those Palestinian Christians living inside Israel to whom Oren refers. At no time in my life have I ever felt the ‘respect and appreciation’ by the Jewish state, which Oren so glowingly references. Israel’s Christian minority is marginalized in much the same manner as its Muslim one or, at best, quietly tolerated. We suffer the same discrimination when we try to find a job, when we go to hospitals, when we apply for bank loans, and when we get on the bus – in the same way as Palestinian Muslims.

Israel’s fundamental basis is as a racist state built for Jews only, and the majority of the Jewish population doesn’t really care what religion we are if we’re not Jewish. In my daily dealings with the State, all I have felt is rudeness and overt contempt.

Oren’s statement that ‘The extinction of the Middle East’s Christian communities is an injustice of historic magnitude’ is outright shocking to anyone familiar with even the basic history of how Israel was founded. I would like to remind him and others that this founding expelled thousands of Palestinian Christians from their homes in 1948 and displaced them, either forcing them to flee across the border or making them internal refugees. The ethnic cleansing of Palestinians that comprised the founding of Israel is, too, an injustice of historic magnitude. A man living in a glass home – or a home stolen from Palestinians – should think very carefully before tossing stones.

My cousin’s husband, Maher, is from Iqrith, a village a few miles from mine in the Galilee. His family, and all of Iqrith’s inhabitants, were expelled from their village in 1948 and Iqrith was razed to the ground by Israeli forces on Christmas eve, 1950, in a special ‘Christmas gift’ to its people. The timing of this destruction leaves one to wonder at the intended message. Maher was born years after his family took shelter in Rama, a village nearby in the Galilee. Today, he struggles with finding a place to build a house to live in with his wife and children. Israeli policies that severely restrict the building zones in Arab towns and villages result in land shortages impeding the population’s natural expansion. Limiting land to residents of the same town or village means that internal Palestinian refugees face severe housing discrimination.

The return of people like Maher has been made impossible by Israel, which refuses to negotiate on the right of refugees to return to their homeland. If Oren is so concerned for Palestinian Christians, would he kindly give the green light for the return of Christian refugees from Iqrith, Bir’im, Tarshiha, Suhmata, Haifa, Jaffa, and tens of other Palestinian towns and villages that they were expelled from in 1948? The answer, I assure you, is no. Many of these refugees are living in refugee camps in nearby countries, where Israel and Oren are happy to leave them.

The terrorists referred to in Oren’s statement that ‘Israel, in spite of its need to safeguard its borders from terrorists, allows holiday access to Jerusalem’s churches to Christians from both the West Bank and Gaza,’ are in fact Palestinian Christians living on the land that Israel has occupied – in flagrant opposition to all human rights charters – and from which it is refusing to withdraw its soldiers and illegal settlers. To applaud Israel for giving people permits to travel across what by law is their own country is the height of hubris.

His claim that ‘In Jerusalem, the number of Arabs—among them Christians—has tripled since the city’s reunification by Israel in 1967’ fails to mention Israel’s relentless policies of cracking down on Jerusalem: building unending settlements; building a Separation Wall that slices right through the city, severing its families, neighborhoods and businesses and hitting hard at its Arab economy; seizing Arab lands and expelling families that have lived on them for generations; and revoking the citizenship of any Palestinian resident who travels abroad for too long. Imagine the outcry if an American citizen traveled abroad for two years and upon return discovered that his citizenship was revoked and that he had lost his American ID and passport.

Israeli officials don’t care whether the Palestinians they discriminate against are Christian or Muslim. It is true that inter-religious strife is on the rise in a region long tormented by poor living conditions, for which the West bears significant responsibility having aided the region’s many dictators.

Oren’s faux tolerance and crocodile tears over the plight of Christians fool no one. Were he serious, I would urge him to have a close look at Israel’s policies of occupation and racial discrimination.

As Jesus said, ‘Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?’ (Matthew 7:3)

Fida Jiryis is a Palestinian writer from the Arab village of Fassuta in the Galilee. She is the author of the forthcoming book, ‘My Return to Galilee,’ which chronicles her return from the Diaspora to Israel. She can be reached at fida_jiryis@hotmail.com.

http://www.australia...stine.net/60238

#672 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

http://mwcnews.net/f...nd-shatila.html

Pope Benedict´s XVI should visit Sabra and Shatila

#673 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

IOF soldiers using Palestinian children as human shields

[ 24/04/2012 - 11:09 AM ]

Posted Image

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)-- The international movement for the defense of children has accused the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) of using Palestinian children as human shields.
It said in a statement on Tuesday that the practice, after the Israeli higher court banning it, was “illegal”.

The movement said it documented 16 out of 17 such cases following the Israeli higher court ruling.
The movement said that the IOF soldiers were disregarding the court ruling, noting that in only one case a person was brought to account for using a child as a human shield.

The report, which covers the period from 2004 to 2011, said that the Israeli army was recruiting Palestinian children as informants.

http://www.palestine...ycK/qa/0EFdrcU=

#674 furry_animal

furry_animal
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

Is it on...?

Knesset approves call-up of 22 IDF battalions

IDF says changed circumstances along Egyptian and Syrian borders require more troops; six battalions summoned

By AARON KALMAN May 2, 2012, 3:13 pm

http://www.timesofis...idf-battalions/

Reserve soldiers conduct a training exercise (photo credit: Matanya Tausig/Flash90)

Posted Image

#675 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

http://electronicint...dence-day/11226

Palestinians assert right to return on Israeli "Independence Day"

#676 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Palestinian hunger strikers elicit a global yawn

http://www.independe...sm-7743403.html

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown: Why so little condemnation of Israel's extremism?

The moralistic Chief Rabbi will not be on 'Thought for the Day' expressing sorrow for the treatment of the men

Thaer Halahleh wrote a letter to his wife Shireen from an Israeli jail in February: "My detention has been renewed seven times and they still haven't charged me. I can't take it any more." Then the 34-year-old began a hunger strike, as did Bilal Diab. That was 77 days ago. Both are Palestinians, fathers, whose young daughters are strip searched and terrified when they visit. David Rose, an exceptional investigative journalist and Jewish himself, recently publicised their stories. Eight others have been on the same, silent, self-wasting, wasted protest. Halahleh's eyes were bleeding, blood instead of tears. He, Diab and others may well be dead by the time you read this. Last Friday, Supreme Court judges in this hubristic democracy turned down an application from civil rights groups to have the men moved to civilian hospitals. They didn't want, perhaps, their own citizens to witness such stuff. What would that do to the image of the plucky little nation, surrounded by real and imagined threats?

The moralistic Chief Rabbi will not be on "Thought for the Day" expressing sorrow for the treatment of these prisoners. Ardent British Zionists will not be pressed to condemn those responsible for the state barbarism. You certainly won't get a big TV hit like Homeland, (based on Hatufim, an Israeli TV series that fictionalised the capture by Palestinian militants of the IDF soldier Gilad Shalit) being made about these men. Come on, you cool, edgy TV chaps, how about a film about a handsome Palestinian held by the Israelis till he loses his mind? Do I hear a choral "No"?

Western opinion formers have been indifferent, in some cases knowingly so, about what is happening. No condemnations are heard around our Parliament. They say we must have freedom of speech, but that right is never evoked when it comes to Israel. The BNP and EDL can spread their racist poison freely, but Baroness Jenny Tonge is savaged by Zionists and her own party for saying that nation "is not going to be there forever in its present form". She has just quit the Lib Dems. If she had uttered the same words about, say, Zimbabwe, she would have been acclaimed.

A large number of enlightened British Jews see the double standards and object to Israel's intransigence. It must be so hard to do what they do, behave with integrity and empathise with those they are instructed to hate.

The detained Palestinians are embarked on peaceful, Gandhian protest action. They want their families to be able to visit without restrictions, decent medical treatment, not to be put into solitary confinement for years on end, to be taken to court and tried. How is that "terrorism"? With the 1981 IRA hunger strikers, of whom 10 died, even the most anti-Republican British newspapers published pictures and told us what was happening. TV too covered their journeys to the very end.

With these slowly dying inmates and the 6,000 others locked up without due process, there is nothing, nada. I never knew until this week that since 1967, 700,000 Palestinians have been detained. Not all were innocent but nor were all of them guilty. To be a Palestinian, to want equality, rights, freedom and land is not a crime. Except that for hardline Israelis, it is.

Their country is protected from censure partly because of fears that any criticism of its actions is potentially "anti-Semitic". Some anti-Semites do use Israel as a cover, but then Israel uses that fact to tar and warn all legitimate criticism. Its governments do what they damn-well want and claim perpetual exceptionality. Their darkest deeds are thus left unscrutinised. This time though, it is suddenly dawning on some key people, among them the hapless Middle East saviour Tony Blair, that these "martyrs" could trigger another Intifada. He is urging Israeli officials to "take all measures to prevent a tragic outcome that could have serious implications for stability and security". Why, he even uttered the words "human rights". The UN and other bodies have intervened. They will all be rebuffed, so monstrous are the egos of the ultra-right wing leadership. In any case Netanyahu et al can point – and with absolute validity – at Guantanamo Bay and our own prisoners held without trial. They are all in it together.

Blair is right to be fearful. Every time a hunger striker dies, even more inchoately angry young Muslim men will be radicalised and turn murderous. Some are raised in the West filled with rhetoric about freedom, democracy, fairness and justice and then witness the betrayal of Palestinians. That dissonance between principles and reality makes them, perhaps, even more enraged than the Palestinians themselves who have low expectations and few illusions. This is not making excuses for terrorists, it is just a reality check.

I truly want Israel to survive and thrive but it is becoming its own worst enemy. British activist Tom Hurndall, 21, was sheltering a Palestinian child from Israeli bullets in Gaza in 2003, when he was killed. His candid journals have just been published. Read them and mourn the idealistic young man and the loss of all idealism in Israel.

y.alibhai-brown@independent.co.uk

MONDAY 14 MAY 2012

#677 sarib

sarib
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

And the local Zionist and their disgraceful apologists are still trying to mislead the Australian public and the world by bringing the Fascist State of Israel's 'vulnerability' and 'legitamacy' myth after 60 years of the Terrorist State's systematic ethnic cleansing and destruction of the Palestinian society.

http://www.peaceandpalestine.com/maps

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#678 Kostas

Kostas

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Jews vs Muslims,
You Muslims are wasting your democraticaly entitled time.
No need to be "un-Austrralian" or "un-American" Muslims.

When in Rome; do as the Romans do.

So the thing here for Muslims in the West to note, is the correct protocol in these [West]parts of the world.

Loby for our politicians to attack Israel, and turn them into "crispy critters",.... nukes, gas, fletchettes, bullets, gas, conventional bombs... anything..... just as Jewish lobies like AIJAC and AIPAC etc etc etec etc etc etce etc etc etc etc constantly harrass/lobby/place under durress, Western leaders to wipe Arab nations (or it's people) off the map.

That's the way to do it... apparently, here in the West, that is considered an acceptable way for "civilised" men to go about commiting genocide. It's considered "good form".

Screaming out "Allah Akbah" in public protests is considered barbaric.... just lobby for genocide instead... it's considered "good form".
Apparently loud voices, and stamping of feet is considered the hight of barbarity in the Anglocentric world.... worse than killing Arabs.

Please, someone, let me know if I missed something.

ps

#679 furry_animal

furry_animal
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

Jews vs Muslims,
You Muslims are wasting your democraticaly entitled time.
No need to be "un-Austrralian" or "un-American" Muslims.

When in Rome; do as the Romans do.

So the thing here for Muslims in the West to note, is the correct protocol in these [West]parts of the world.

Loby for our politicians to attack Israel, and turn them into "crispy critters",.... nukes, gas, fletchettes, bullets, gas, conventional bombs... anything..... just as Jewish lobies like AIJAC and AIPAC etc etc etec etc etc etce etc etc etc etc constantly harrass/lobby/place under durress, Western leaders to wipe Arab nations (or it's people) off the map.

That's the way to do it... apparently, here in the West, that is considered an acceptable way for "civilised" men to go about commiting genocide. It's considered "good form".

Screaming out "Allah Akbah" in public protests is considered barbaric.... just lobby for genocide instead... it's considered "good form".
Apparently loud voices, and stamping of feet is considered the hight of barbarity in the Anglocentric world.... worse than killing Arabs.

Please, someone, let me know if I missed something.

Oh come on, are you trying your hardest to break as many rules as you can?

#680 Kostas

Kostas

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

Not breaking rules at all; just highlighting the mockery of the reality.

Please tell me that you aren't refuting the fact that Jewish groups are doing exactly

that.

So now tell me why it's not ok for Muslims to do as Jews do.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users