• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Joumana

Joumana

The blessing of prayer...

• Sisters
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

I know this may seem like a silly question, but are we allowed to brush our teeth in the morning if we are fasting, ensuring we do not swallow anything ??? :oops:
He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes, but he who doesn't ask remains a fool forever...

#2 Ibn Tarek

Ibn Tarek
  • Brothers
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:56 AM

I think it is disliked to use toothpaste but doesn't render the fast invalid. i don't know about using a toothbrush without paste, but you can use a miswak anytime.

on SunniPath: http://qa.sunnipath....=...=303&CATE=6

THINGS DISLIKED WHILE FASTING

To chew gum, rubber, plastic items or other such things (F: which are chewed, but not swallowed, and nothing reaches the stomach, for otherwise the fast would be broken).

To taste any article of food or drink and spit it out (F: without anything being swallowed). If a woman has a very ill tempered husband, it is permissible for her to taste the food, provided it does not go down her throat.

To collect one’s saliva in the mouth and then to swallow it, trying to quench thirst.

To delay a bath that has become obligatory intentionally until after fajr time.

To use paste or tooth powder to clean one’s teeth. It is permitted to use a miswak of any permissible fresh branch or root (tooth stick). [If one wishes to use toothpaste, one should brush one’s teeth before the fast begins.]

To complain of hunger and thirst.

To take the water too much up the nostrils when cleaning the nose.

To gargle more than necessary (f: because if any water goes down the throat, even accidentally, the fast is invalidated).

To quarrel, argue, use filthy or indecent words.

To backbite, tell a lie and swear are sinful acts even when one is not fasting. Therefore they become even worse when fasting.

THINGS THAT DO NOT BREAK THE FAST

To eat and drink something unintentionally.

A mosquito, fly or any other object going down the throat unintentionally.

Water entering the ears.

Dust or dirt going down the throat.

Swallowing one’s own saliva.

Taking an injection.

Applying of surma (kuhl: antimony) into the eyes.

Taking a bath to keep cool.

Rubbing oil onto the body or hair.

To vomit unintentionally.

Applying itr or perfume. It is not permitted to inhale the smoke of loban or agar batti whilst fasting. It is also not permitted to smoke cigarettes or inhale its smoke.

Brushing the teeth without tooth paste or powder, e.g., using a miswak, etc.
And this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me;
I'm gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way,
Your way home ...

#3 gary1964

gary1964
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:51 AM

I think it is disliked to use toothpaste but doesn't render the fast invalid. i don't know about using a toothbrush without paste, but you can use a miswak anytime.

on SunniPath: http://qa.sunnipath....=...=303&CATE=6

THINGS DISLIKED WHILE FASTING

To chew gum, rubber, plastic items or other such things (F: which are chewed, but not swallowed, and nothing reaches the stomach, for otherwise the fast would be broken).

To taste any article of food or drink and spit it out (F: without anything being swallowed). If a woman has a very ill tempered husband, it is permissible for her to taste the food, provided it does not go down her throat.

To collect ones saliva in the mouth and then to swallow it, trying to quench thirst.

To delay a bath that has become obligatory intentionally until after fajr time.

To use paste or tooth powder to clean ones teeth. It is permitted to use a miswak of any permissible fresh branch or root (tooth stick). [If one wishes to use toothpaste, one should brush ones teeth before the fast begins.]

To complain of hunger and thirst.

To take the water too much up the nostrils when cleaning the nose.

To gargle more than necessary (f: because if any water goes down the throat, even accidentally, the fast is invalidated).

To quarrel, argue, use filthy or indecent words.

To backbite, tell a lie and swear are sinful acts even when one is not fasting. Therefore they become even worse when fasting.

THINGS THAT DO NOT BREAK THE FAST

To eat and drink something unintentionally.

A mosquito, fly or any other object going down the throat unintentionally.

Water entering the ears.

Dust or dirt going down the throat.

Swallowing ones own saliva.

Taking an injection.

Applying of surma (kuhl: antimony) into the eyes.

Taking a bath to keep cool.

Rubbing oil onto the body or hair.

To vomit unintentionally.

Applying itr or perfume. It is not permitted to inhale the smoke of loban or agar batti whilst fasting. It is also not permitted to smoke cigarettes or inhale its smoke.

Brushing the teeth without tooth paste or powder, e.g., using a miswak, etc.

...but one must be careful not to swallow any pieces of the miswak [toothstick] as this will invalidate the fast, as for the juices from the miswak that mingle with one's saliva and is swallowed, this does not invalidate the fast, though to err on the side of caution and eject it from one's mouth would be safer. Also, the using of toothpast, just as the miswak, can invalidate the fast if it is swallowed. Accoring to the Shafii position, even the lingering of the taste of the toothpaste that is admixed with the saliva and swallowed invalidates the fast. One needs to take caution, the default is that if one places something in ones mouth, after one has affectively entered a state of fasting, and swallows it, the fast will be invalidated. Due to the Prophetic example of using the toothstick, this seems to be an exception to a general principle. Allahu alam.

#4 Yasir

Yasir
  • Banned
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

I know this may seem like a silly question, but are we allowed to brush our teeth in the morning if we are fasting, ensuring we do not swallow anything ??? :oops:

Aslam O Alikum,
Well Sister Its not a silly question it shows how deeply u thinks about Islam or how much u Loves Islam. Here in Pakistan where so many groups lives do ask every question....
The Sunnah is clean your tooth with Maswak (A Stick of tree) How ever now we have many toothpaste available in market....
3 Things matters
1.... Brushing the teeths will sprap little water drops on touge... Few pwople thinks can hurt Fast
2.... Chemical used in Toothpaste can hurt Fast
3.... Many Alulmas says Allah likes the smell of that peron's mouth who has fast...
Jazak Allah Khair
In my point of view We can Brush in Sharr & After Iftar, & Before going to sleep...
Aslam O Alikum

#5 Yasir

Yasir
  • Banned
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:12 PM

Aslam O Alikum,

Thank you MV... I am very Happy... Alhadulillah

Aslam O Alikum.

#6 tr3x

tr3x
  • Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

Just a bit off-topic I actually have some Miswak toothpaste that colgate makes.
"I'm not as forgiving toward the muslim community"- Philip, showing his true colors.

#7 Guest_Daniel_*

Guest_Daniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:22 PM

Likewise. Though, not Colgate.

#8 Joumana

Joumana

• Sisters
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

I didn't realise u needed toothpaste for miswak....

i also didn't realise that colgate actually recognises the miswak ...
He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes, but he who doesn't ask remains a fool forever...

#9 Guest_Daniel_*

Guest_Daniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

it's not for the Miswak. It has Miswak powder in it, as far as I know.

#10 tr3x

tr3x
  • Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

I didn't realise u needed toothpaste for miswak....

i also didn't realise that colgate actually recognises the miswak ...

Its basically their regular toothpaste with Miswak added to it.
"I'm not as forgiving toward the muslim community"- Philip, showing his true colors.

#11 Joumana

Joumana

• Sisters
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

Its basically their regular toothpaste with Miswak added to it.

It's good to know the west is recognising the benefits of miswak.... however, how effective is it in powder form ? and is it available from the supermarket ??

#12 hamid_

hamid_
  • Brothers
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:39 PM

Bismillah

In Shafi'i fiqh it is makruh to use the siwak after noon for someone who is fasting an obligatory fast and if any reaches the stomach, it is unlawful as this breaks a fast (using toothpaste is also makruh then)

Kitaab: Umdat As-Salik (Reliance Of The Traveller)

#13 tr3x

tr3x
  • Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

It's good to know the west is recognising the benefits of miswak.... however, how effective is it in powder form ? and is it available from the supermarket ??

I bought some from a supermarket in Dubai, I haven't seen it here but I'm sure the Arab grocers ie Abu Salim should be able to get their hands on it.

#14 Joumana

Joumana

• Sisters
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

Ramadan Karim To Abu Salim !! :lol:

Is there anything that guy doesn't have in his shop...mashallah...

Thanx for the replies...

#15 Sam

Sam
  • Former Member
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

Bismillah

In Shafi'i fiqh it is makruh to use the siwak after noon for someone who is fasting an obligatory fast and if any reaches the stomach, it is unlawful as this breaks a fast (using toothpaste is also makruh then)

Kitaab: Umdat As-Salik (Reliance Of The Traveller)

To add to this, anything reaching the stomach whether before or after noon will invalidate the fast (including saliva on a toothbrush that is taken out of the mouth and then put back in again), as well as swallowing saliva where the taste has been qualitatively altered (for example, toothpaste left in the mouth even if the brushing was before fajr). See Reliance i.18 (11) and (12). I believe the makruh'ness of using the siwak after noon is for other reasons (i.e. the smell of the breath in the afternoon being due to fasting and not food). Allahu 'alam.
Israel's strategy: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

#16 gary1964

gary1964
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:01 AM

To add to this, anything reaching the stomach whether before or after noon will invalidate the fast (including saliva on a toothbrush that is taken out of the mouth and then put back in again), as well as swallowing saliva where the taste has been qualitatively altered (for example, toothpaste left in the mouth even if the brushing was before fajr). See Reliance i.18 (11) and (12). I believe the makruh'ness of using the siwak after noon is for other reasons (i.e. the smell of the breath in the afternoon being due to fasting and not food). Allahu 'alam.

The makruh status for using miswak after zawal is to bring into operation the hadith qudsi about the odor of the breath of a fasting person is pleasing to Allah Most High, by using miswak one removes this, hence to operationalize this virtue, the Shafii's have given this opinion, wa Allahu a'lam

#17 Guest_Daniel_*

Guest_Daniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

I bought some from a supermarket in Dubai, I haven't seen it here but I'm sure the Arab grocers ie Abu Salim should be able to get their hands on it.

I know you're probably not in Melbourne...But try Sydney road. ;)

#18 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

Where is Abu Salim? Maybe I know the shop or have been there, just don't know its name?

#19 Sam

Sam
  • Former Member
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Where is Abu Salim? Maybe I know the shop or have been there, just don't know its name?

Greenacre.. see http://maps.google.c...2434505496,,0,5
Israel's strategy: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

#20 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

JazakAllah khair, yep have been there :)

#21 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Joumana, you could probably try the gentleman in the arcade in Lakemba, he may have some also. His shop is very small but maashAllah he has a huge variety of things that you can't get everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users