Writing On Michael Clarke's Arm

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 only1soulja

only1soulja
  • Sisters
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

I don't even know if there is a thread on this - or even how I caught this..

Was watching cricket and just when Clarke took out the 3 indian cricketeers to give Australia the test - he points to his arm and shows off some writing - lucky for foxtel I was able to rewind the shot but I couldn't make out what it said..

So what was it??

Edited by only1soulja, 06 January 2008 - 06:19 PM.

One God, One World, One Ummah, One Voice

#2 meat

meat
  • Brothers
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

I don't even know if there is a thread on this - or even how I caught this..

Was watching cricket and just when Clarke took out the 3 indian cricketeers to give Australia the test - he points to his arm and shows off some writing - lucky for foxtel I was able to rewind the shot but I couldn't make out what it said..

So what was it??

View Post

Yeah I saw that too ... on channel 9 news ...for a brief second I thought it looked like arabic writing ........ am I mistaken (it was very brief shot on TV )?
-------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people,
those who can read binary
& those who can't
------------------------------------

#3 meat

meat
  • Brothers
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Haha it was arabic .... well arabic lettering that is.

Sydney Morning Herald - Pup gives no inkling of mystery tatt's meaning

THE great mystery before the Sydney Test surrounds not the make-up of the Australian side but the meaning of the letters etched on the inside of Michael Clarke's left forearm.

When the 26-year-old raised his bat to mark his half-century against India during the Boxing Day Test, he revealed a freshly inked addition to the "Carpe Diem" tattoo he has sported since last year.

It is the talk of the Australian dressing room, but Clarke is being coy about its meaning. Is it an ode to his love, Lara Bingle? Or is it, like the latin words for "Seize the Day", a saying to urge him towards further cricketing excellence?

One linguistic expert contacted by the Herald was unable to decipher the meaning, other than to say it was not written in classical Arabic.

Clarke has not told his teammates or even his manager what the tattoo means. "It's some sort of saying, but he is keeping the meaning to himself," fast bowler Stuart Clark said.

The new tattoo has appeared since November's Test series against Sri Lanka, after which Clarke was named captain of the national Twenty20 team and officially anointed for future Test captaincy.

Clarke also has his Test number, 389, written in Roman numerals across his lower back. "I like tattoos," he said after he got his previous ink done. "My theory is that if I'm going to get one, it has to be meaningful. There will be more to come."

Posted Image
-------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people,
those who can read binary
& those who can't
------------------------------------

#4 MrWarraEnib

MrWarraEnib

Member to Remember!!!!

• Brothers
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

saw it as well.. im like what the... hrmm what could it be ?
We are one, but we are many,
And from all the groups of Islam we come,
We share a belief,
And pray to one god,
I am, You are, We are Australian Muslims

www.abdulbasitonline.com :)

#5 Mowlana Vector

Mowlana Vector

That which is known to God, why hide it from His creatures?!

• Brothers
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image

What does the above Alam Al-Inzibat bit mean in Arabic? Is it the pain or science of discipline ?
"So lose not heart, nor fall into despair: for you must gain mastery if U are true in faith." (The Holy Qur'an - 3:139)

"Sufficient is death as a counsel." (Saydinah Umar RA)

#6 ~*madcanberran*~

~*madcanberran*~
  • Brothers
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

Looks like Carpe Diem (sieze the day ) on the top.

#7 Novela

Novela

In the name of God, most gracious, most merciful

• Sisters
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Michael Clarke :wub:
My all time favourite Cricketer.
"True, I have brought dead to life. But I find it difficult to bring a fool to his senses."
Prophet Jesus (upon him be peace)

#8 Ebubekir

Ebubekir
  • Brothers
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

What does the above Alam Al-Inzibat bit mean in Arabic?

View Post

It actually says 'ball an zee bat'.

#9 Nays

Nays
  • Former Member
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

One linguistic expert contacted by the Herald was unable to decipher the meaning, other than to say it was not written in classical Arabic.

If it isn't arabic, what language do you think it is? Urdu? I'm just guessing.
Those who introduce writings which oppose the Qur'an & Sunnah & those who innovate in matters of worship, then it is obligatory to expose them. - Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal

#10 Jaaved

Jaaved

Alhamdulillah

• Admin
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Urdu isn't written like that - Urdu has the 'look' of the Nastaliq calligraphy script - do a Google Image search for 'nastaliq' and 'urdu' and see the similarities. If you can read Arabic, you can read Urdu (a few letters might stump you here and there) - and vice versa.

That tattoo is clearly Arabic, but I'm not sure what that so-called expert means by 'classical' Arabic.
“One of the greatest tribulations Allah can afflict a servant with is to preoccupy him with the faults of others, and blind him to his own faults.” — Quoted by Imam Zaid Shakir

“If you see an injustice, ACT ON IT, and if you can't do that, then SPEAK ON IT, and if you can't do that, then FEEL IT IN YOUR HEART, it's the weakest form of faith but at least that's a start.” — "Act On It" by The Brothahood

#11 *OhSoWhiSpeR___*

*OhSoWhiSpeR___*

Student Of KnOwledge..Inshallah !

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

it's arabic..

it's says .."the pain of discipline is...

and the rest is covered.

LOL..saw this on AM..
Imam Malik was asked,

" if my mother tells me to do something and my father also, then whom do i listen to.?"

He replied, obey your father and do not disobey your mother. In another words apply wisdom between both.

#12 Z

Z
  • Brothers
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:11 AM

http://www.theaustra...5001505,00.html

#13 Mowlana Vector

Mowlana Vector

That which is known to God, why hide it from His creatures?!

• Brothers
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:59 PM

That tattoo is clearly Arabic, but I'm not sure what that so-called expert means by 'classical' Arabic.

View Post

Their expertise must be in (No)eye-rabic ;) :wacko: :lol:

http://www.theaustra...5001505,00.html

View Post

Posted Image

So this piece of (Arabic)puzzle is still (not) unraveling ... Thousand(overs) and One(dayers) Nights, anyone? :P :lol:
"So lose not heart, nor fall into despair: for you must gain mastery if U are true in faith." (The Holy Qur'an - 3:139)

"Sufficient is death as a counsel." (Saydinah Umar RA)

#14 Imrans

Imrans
  • Banned
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

It says "the pain of discipline is nothing like the pain of disappointment" in Arabic. :D
Jaga ji laganey ki duniya nahi hai, yeh ibrat ki jah hai, tamasha nahi hai!

Yahi tujh ko dhun hai, rahoun sab se baala, ho zeenat nirali, ho fashion nirala,
Jiya karta hai kya younhi marney wala?
Tujhe husn-e-zahir ney dhokey mei dala!

#15 red_tiger

red_tiger
  • Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

It says "Now that I can bowl, all I have to do is score a few runs and I'd be a decent all rounder".

#16 † RUFiO †

† RUFiO †
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

It says "WTF was slipped into VVS Laxmans pocket"
"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties." - Peter Lalor

#17 Novela

Novela

In the name of God, most gracious, most merciful

• Sisters
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

It says: "I will be as cool as Richie Benaud someday"
"True, I have brought dead to life. But I find it difficult to bring a fool to his senses."
Prophet Jesus (upon him be peace)

#18 GreenOz

GreenOz
  • Moderators
  • 26,431 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

It says: "I will be as cool as Richie Benaud someday"

View Post

:lol:
the world is full of hibee jibees

#19 toomuchnoise

toomuchnoise
  • Banned
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

Urdu isn't written like that - Urdu has the 'look' of the Nastaliq calligraphy script - do a Google Image search for 'nastaliq' and 'urdu' and see the similarities. If you can read Arabic, you can read Urdu (a few letters might stump you here and there) - and vice versa.

Yes but not proper Arabic. It is written in coloquial 'speaking' terms not formal written and classical fus-ha Arabic.

It was meant to say one thing but came out wrong and translates completely wrong.
The only thing that will make you feel alive is to become a slave of The Living (Allah - Al Hay) who never dies. - Hamza Yusuf

The best form of piety is to conceal it - Imam Ali (RA)

#20 ahmedk

ahmedk
  • Moderators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Posted Image

After looking at a few pictures it is clear that both lines say:

ألم الإنضباط هو شيء مثل الألم من خيبة الأمل

This can be translated as:

The pain of discipline is something similar to the pain of disappointment

Now it’s pretty obvious that this is a poor statement because as we all know there is simply no comparison between the two with disappointment being far worse; a quick google search shows that quite a few people have been trying to work this out over the last year or two and all of them have been puzzled over its exact meaning, with the majority of them actually translating it as:

“The pain of discipline is nothing like the pain of disappointment.”

Now this makes sense, fits the sport, fits his profile, fits the Aussie maxim in cricket. The only problem is that the Arabic doesn’t translate to this i.e. the Arab who wrote it has clearly completely messed it up and left out the negating word “laysa“!

"If you are not part of the solution.......then you are part of the problem" anon

#21 roobarb

roobarb

I am a dude!

• Members
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm curious to why he picked Arabic. Is it for the aesthetic look?
I'd almost feel sorry for him if he weren't such a knob - tr3x
roobarb is actually a girls name in Arabic lol hence why I've always thought you were a girl - mango
since you are a worthless and shameless lowlife - FatBoyMuslim

#22 fatma

fatma
  • Members
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

is he the one that had the bimbo that flushed the engagement ring down the toilet?

#23 roobarb

roobarb

I am a dude!

• Members
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

That's the one.
roobarb is actually a girls name in Arabic lol hence why I've always thought you were a girl - mango

#24 LebChic

LebChic
  • Sisters
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Did Clarke declare because he did not want to score more runs than Don Bradman?

#25 pak_muslimah

pak_muslimah
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

lol
Pakistan ka matlab kiya? La ilaha ilallah!
Pakistan ka maqsad kiya? Muhammad dar Rasool ALLAH !

#26 roobarb

roobarb

I am a dude!

• Members
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Did Clarke declare because he did not want to score more runs than Don Bradman?

He declared after Hussey got his 150. Clarke has always been a team player and with rain a potential, declaring was a good option.

#27 LebChic

LebChic
  • Sisters
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

He declared after Hussey got his 150. Clarke has always been a team player and with rain a potential, declaring was a good option.

Clarke is reaping the benefits of his decision. He has attracted more sponsors and gained financially from his 'team' first attitude.

I honestly thought (before his 300+ runs in the Sydney test) that many people thought Clarke was arrogant? I didn't think he was well perceived by the general public?

#28 roobarb

roobarb

I am a dude!

• Members
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

People still do think he is arrogant. I guess it's been a little watered down by him declaring when he did rather than trying to go after records. The reaction for him batting till 400+ then having the match end up a draw would have been vocal.

#29 LebChic

LebChic
  • Sisters
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Got to love Aussies and sport! One day you can be hated and the minute you achieve something great in sport or score 300 runs, you are loved!

Before Jason Taylor came to Parra I hated him. Even whilst he was playing in the blue and gold, I disliked him. Suddenly, he helps Parra make a GF and he becomes a great player! LOL
Oh, how our attitudes can change!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users