- - - - -

Halal food in central Sydney?

34 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:28 PM

as-salaam alaikum,

Remarkably, I am posting a message to Islamicsydney that actually has something to do with Sydney. Anyway, does anyone know of any place in the general vicinity (walking distance) from the corner of Pitt Street and O'Connell Street in Sydney that sells halal food? I have heard there is a Chinese Restaurant somewhere around here, but haven't been able to work out where it is.

If someone could let me know as soon as possible, then that would be great insha'Allah.

Jazak Allah khairan

Amir

#2 xkafr

xkafr
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 05:34 PM

Here the chinese (end of Pitt st, Circular Quay end) plus a few others from http://www.islamicsy...ry.php?dircat=3
Good luck

Neptune Palace Restaurant
Halal Malaysian and Chinese cuisine
Level 1, Gateway Building, Pitt Street
Circular Quay, Sydney
Phone: (02) 9241 3338

Kampung Malaysian Restaurant
431-439, Pitt Street
Sydney 2000
Phone: 02 9288 0188

Top Indonesian Restaurant
Halal Indonesian Cuisine. Located in Prince Centre.
Shop TG8, 8 Quay Street
Sydney 2000
Phone: 02 9211 9113

• Guests

Posted 16 December 2002 - 07:32 PM

Jazak Allah khair for that. I ended up finding that Neptune place anyway.[/quote]

• Guests

Posted 16 December 2002 - 09:56 PM

I've heard of a few butchers who put the Halal sign up in order to attract more customers without going through the leisure of ensuring the food is indeed authenticate in its halalness :)

#5 GreenOz

GreenOz
  • Moderators
  • 26,431 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 10:15 PM

Salam

Yeah that happens heaps in order to make an extra dollar BUT do u guys really wanna laugh....i have seen Arab delicatesans (I know this is spelt wrong- there is no spell check here) who advertise for

HALAL DATES....Imagine that....dont know what they're on about...

Peace
Hanan
the world is full of hibee jibees

#6 Sam

Sam
  • Former Member
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 09:20 AM

Assalamualaikum,

In the food court under Grace Bros, there's a Turkish Pizza/Kebab place that claims to be Halal when I asked them).

Also, the Malaysian restaraunt under QVB also claims to be halal, but is run by Chinese. I havent investigated further to see how true their claim is.

I was thinking that maybe we should have an information brochure or pamphlet that explains exactly what Halal means to these restaurants, just so there's no misunderstanding.

wassalam

Sam

#7 Guest_Alif_*

Guest_Alif_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2002 - 12:32 PM

Curry View

Traditional Bangladeshi Fish curry----EveryNight Traditional Khichuri(Lentil & Rice) served with Lamb or Chicken cooked in Bangladeshi style -----Friday Roast & Pulao-- For Party Catering
234 Elizabeth Street(crn Reservoir & Elizabeth st)
Surry Hills 2010
Phone: 9212 0019
Fax: 92 123 567
Mobile: 04 2133 4311 Monzoor
Email: curryview@hotmail.com

[size=24]Spice Boys @ Central
A Modern Indian Restaurant, with traditional food, and 5 star service. We deliver and cater. Henry Dean Plaza, Lee Street, near Central Station - We Spice Up Your Life - Delwar Khan - Director
Henry Deane Plaza. Shop 16, 2 Lee st.
Central (Near Central Station) 2000
Phone: 9212 7755
Fax: 9212 1755
Mobile: 0402 991 359

#8 Z

Z
  • Brothers
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:04 PM

On the same topic, does anybody know what happened to Sultan's Palace which use to be near Spice Boys?? Have they shut down or relocated?

#9 Hanan Oum Medina

Hanan Oum Medina

All'alba vincero

• Sisters
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:59 PM

SAWAWB

Funnily, whenever I ask a Turkish eatery if their food is halal, they get really offended and cranky <_< No halal signs, and I've heard stories about those kebab rolls.....

Oh well!

Wasalaam
Hanan
"There is none amongst the believers who plants a tree, or sows a seed, and then a bird, or a person, or an animal eats thereof, but it is regarded as having given a charitable gift [for which there is great recompense]."

#10 Hamzza

Hamzza

Village Bannana

• Brothers
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:13 PM

SAWAWB

Funnily, whenever I ask a Turkish eatery if their food is halal, they get really offended and cranky  <_< No halal signs, and I've heard stories about those kebab rolls.....

Oh well!

Wasalaam
Hanan

View Post

If not angry they reply is simply brother we are muslims..... ( hmmm I didn't ask if you were muslim, rather I asked if your food your serving is Halal)
A day in which neither wealth nor childern shall be of any benifit [to anyone], except the one who comes to ALLAH with a sound [pure] heart 26:88-89

#11 islam4life

islam4life

"Servant of Allah"

• Brothers
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:56 AM

I went to Burwood the other day and went to the Kebab Shop and he got a Halal Sign up and he had some pizza there so I was about to get a Pizza but it looked like it got Bacon in it so I asked him if the Pizza is Halal and he said No and showed me the Pide which is Halal he said. :blink:
Also there are alot of Indonesian Restaurant(run by chinese) that claiming to be Halal but got no Certificate or what so ever.
Maybe we should get someone to Investigate those shops that are claiming to be Halal without Cerificate. ;)
So woe to the worshippers

Who are neglectful of their prayers,

Those who (want but) to be seen (of men),

But refuse (to supply) (even) neighbourly needs.

Q 107:4-7

#12 Aqua

Aqua

Um Muhammad

• Sisters
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:13 AM

to be hoest, that kebab shop serves up THE BEST KEBABS IN SDNEY! :yay:

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

#13 salwan1985

salwan1985
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:47 PM

alsalam alaikum...
do u know any good halal eating places in sydney ? i want to know really and thanx for this great site !

#14 ebrahim

ebrahim
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

Assalaam mu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Sydney has many Halal food outlets.
Depends really on which area you are located.,
and what ethnic food type, Malay, Indonesian, Arabic, Chinese, Italian, Fast-Food etc.

You may also want to view previous posts on Halal Food, Halal Restaurants,etc
salaam
ebrahim

Edited by ebrahim, 04 December 2004 - 09:05 PM.

#15 Z

Z
  • Brothers
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:21 AM

Can somebody confirm (preferably before lunchtime) if Ali Baba on George street is halal?

Edited by Z, 16 February 2005 - 10:22 AM.

#16 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Apart from Neptunes Palace, where else is a nice place to eat - I'm not talking take away shops or anything, something a little classier or similar to Neptunes Palace in the CBD?

Doesn't need to be Asian, can also be other ethnic food. And also if they're kid friendly would be great.

#17 OhMyGod!

OhMyGod!
  • Former Member
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

If you are up for something different, go to Mamma Chus on Pitt Street. It is a vegan Chinese restaurant. It has some pretty nice dishes. I can recommend their top stuff 'cos I have tried nearly everything there :P

There is also Cafe Kasturi at Central. I haven't been there but heard rave reviews.
Behind every successful man there is a surprised woman.

#18 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

If you are up for something different, go to Mamma Chus on Pitt Street. It is a vegan Chinese restaurant. It has some pretty nice dishes. I can recommend their top stuff 'cos I have tried nearly everything there :P

There is also Cafe Kasturi at Central. I haven't been there but heard rave reviews.

Thanks sis, but there needs to be some meat on the menu. Yeah I posted about Cafe Kasturi the other day, does the place look nice? Ambience is pretty important :)

#19 OhMyGod!

OhMyGod!
  • Former Member
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Haven't been to Cafe Kasturi sis :( Maybe ask Raidah 'cos I think she has been there :)
Behind every successful man there is a surprised woman.

#20 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

Cool I'll do that inshaAllah :)

#21 Salman

Salman
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

Can somebody confirm (preferably before lunchtime) if Ali Baba on George street is halal?

About Eleven ago I asked the one of the works at Ali Baba on George street if the food is halal and the answer was no.

#22 AliG

AliG

village stalker

• Brothers
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:53 PM

search for posts with my name. i attached a xls file sometime ago when i was working in the city with all the halal places i knew of.
Chahatone ki duniya mai
Gham tu hazarun hai
Aur adami akela hai

(\_/)
(-o-) it's Monsieur Bunny to you
(><)

#23 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

Yeah I remember even thanking you for it :oops:
Went to Cafe Kasturi, very nice and clean maashAllah and the staff were so friendly too. Its a little far but its nice for a change :)

#24 intifada

intifada

:..gender jihad..:

• Sisters
  • 8,223 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

SILK ROAD!!!! on quay st right near uts library

delicious uighyar food!! better than cafe kasturi. although if you need ambience as you said i'd go with kasturi as silk road is tiny and constantly packed.
And itís amazing how they trained them
To be racist against themselves in the place they was raised in
You kept us caged in
Destroyed our culture and said that you civilised us
Raped our women and when we were born you despised us

ImmortalTech

#25 Cove

Cove
  • Sisters
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yeah we passed it on the way back home and I agree - I've heard the food is good though. Passing the UTS library also triggered lots of memories :D

#26 AliG

AliG

village stalker

• Brothers
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Yeah I remember even thanking you for it :oops:
Went to Cafe Kasturi, very nice and clean maashAllah and the staff were so friendly too. Its a little far but its nice for a change :)

Yes i remeber that :)

inshahallah the Hasanat keep coming in my account :dance:

yah silk road is great too but as mentioned it usually packed out.
Chahatone ki duniya mai
Gham tu hazarun hai
Aur adami akela hai

(\_/)
(><)

#27 Abdul Rahman

Abdul Rahman

Allah's most needy servant

• Brothers
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Its called a packed lunch people. With the level of ignorance in the ummah and the proportion of haram ingredients in foods other than meat you just cannot be sure.
"Whoever is satisfied to act without knowledge is satisfied with disobedience to Allah"
Imam Suyuti :ra:

#28 Salman

Salman
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

About Eleven ago I asked the one of the works at Ali Baba on George street if the food is halal and the answer was no.

I meant "meat" when I said "food" in my above post.

#29 AliG

AliG

village stalker

• Brothers
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

http://muslimvillage...?...st&p=389163

here you go i found the file with listing of all the halal place i know of in the city for you! might be a bit outdated as i collected this info in Aug 06
Chahatone ki duniya mai
Gham tu hazarun hai
Aur adami akela hai

(\_/)
(><)

#30 medina

medina
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

check out Halal Food Guide