Boycott Israel

219 replies to this topic

#1 Islam student

Islam student
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

Slam alikum

Israel is killing innocent civilians for long time now. However , it is a small country and weak economy . How Israel can afford such a expensive weapons and military budget beside the US help? The answer is some multinational companies donating money to support Israel for different reasons. They either owned by Jews or their directors and chairmen are simpatico to israel cause.

If we as muslims stop buying products of these companies we can help, people under Israel's occupation and attack.
Here is a list of these companies and product . for further inforamtion visit http://www.inminds.c...ott-israel.html.

Peace

#2 Shai*

Shai*

Goooozfraaabaaa

• Sisters
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

I got a few sms's about this. Apparently it starts today!
More like an Emo parade for the boys. We'll hire some violinists from Austria to serenade you while you all cry & whinge - Mercurial

You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life? -Rumi

#3 Islam student

Islam student
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

These are the name of companies.

BOYCOTT ISRAEL COMPANY LIST

AOL Time Warner
Apax Partners & Co Ltd
Coca-Cola
Danone
Delta Galil
Disney
Estée Lauder
IBM
Johnson & Johnson
Kimberly-Clark
Lewis Trust Group Ltd
L'Oreal
Marks & Spencer
Nestle
News Corporation
Nokia
Revlon
Sara Lee
Selfridges
The Limited Inc
Home Depot
Intel
Starbucks
Timberland
McDonald's
Arsenal FC

Edited by Islam student, 05 August 2006 - 11:18 PM.

#4 Hayaa

Hayaa

AKA Sky

• Sisters
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

If I remember correctly, the owner of the Melbourne Cup is also a big supporter of Israel, and actually sends a lot of money to have Israeli settelments built on Palestinian territory.
"Every religion has a quality that is characteristic of that religion. And the characteristic of my religion is hayaa" The Prophet SAW

#5 DesertRose`

DesertRose`
  • Moderators
  • 10,050 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

AOL Time Warner
Apax Partners & Co Ltd
Coca-Cola
Danone
Delta Galil 
Disney
Estée Lauder 
IBM
Johnson & Johnson 
Kimberly-Clark
Lewis Trust Group Ltd 
L'Oreal
Marks & Spencer 
Nestle
News Corporation 
Nokia
Revlon 
Sara Lee
Selfridges 
The Limited Inc
Home Depot 
Intel
Starbucks 
Timberland
McDonald's 
Arsenal FC

View Post

Whilst I can understand the reasoning behind boycotting, I don't think it's feasible. What's the bet that most of us own (to start with) a Nokia phone, an IBM computer/laptop, have had coffee for starbucks every morning for the past year or so, just took the kids to McDonald's for lunch an hour or so ago, have a delicious sara lee cake in the freezer which we might serve to our guests tonight, own a L'Oreal mascara, and have just finished shampooing our children's hair with Johnson & Johnson shampoo! Sound familiar?

The fact of the matter is that these killings are not taking place as a result of economic gain alone, it's beyond that and Muslims have to be much smarter than that. The first step we should be doing, way before boycotting, is taking a look at our internal and external state as Muslims. If people's passion went towards advocating and advertising such much more, I think Islam and Muslims would be in a much better position.

Not trying to be pessimistic about the advantages of boycotting, but in present times I just haven't seen any positive long term benefits with such initiatives.
May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon His beloved Prophet and his righteous companions.

#6 Sam

Sam
  • Former Member
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:57 PM

Ditto to DR (who tried to run me over at the lights as I was crossing the road the other day).

Face it, Muslims make up just a few percentage of citizens in Australia. Even if you got every single Muslim to boycott these products (unlikely) then it still would have little effect. And the fact is, by the time the product has hit the shelf, somebody has already paid for it, and lots of other people (distributors, etc) have had their input as well. Boycotting these products hurts these people as well.

The only reason for boycotting something is to make yourself feel good. If it makes you feel good, then do it, but don't delude yourself that you're making any difference to the suffering of the Palestinians, or now, the Lebanese.

wasalaam
sam
Israel's strategy: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

#7 Najah

Najah
  • Sisters
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

Salamz,

To really stop Israel from killing innocents the Arab world seriously needs to wake up to itself and become united in putting an end to this sort of oppression. This turn to boycotting is not a long term solution to this problem.

wa salam

#8 Gomez

Gomez
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

No one actually owns the Melbourne cup, you might mean the owner of the last 3 Melbourne cup winners? Tony Santic, i am from Port Lincoln where he also lives and i can assure you he is not Jewish. He is an fact from Croatia. And the last person who posted was right, to companies like Coke & News Corp a small protest to these companies would not even be a drop in the ocean...I dont know why the world can not live in peace, i can....

Cheers

#9 ahmedk

ahmedk
  • Moderators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:11 AM

Salaam

I also agree with DR and Sam. It is problematic and will harm others, including Muslims.

However I am fully in support of Boycotting products/goods that are made in Israel as this will have a direct effect.

Now if we only could get a list of these products? I think somebody posted a link to a list of Israeli made products from the Zionist Council of Victoria's website.

I will try and find the link/list.

Salaam
Ahmed
"If you are not part of the solution.......then you are part of the problem" anon

#10 Shai*

Shai*

Goooozfraaabaaa

• Sisters
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

Maybe we should all switch to No Frills lol. Is that owned by Israel?
More like an Emo parade for the boys. We'll hire some violinists from Austria to serenade you while you all cry & whinge - Mercurial

You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life? -Rumi

#11 randwiggend

randwiggend
  • Banned
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

Whilst I can understand the reasoning behind boycotting, I don't think it's feasible. What's the bet that most of us own (to start with) a Nokia phone, an IBM computer/laptop, have had coffee for starbucks every morning for the past year or so, just took the kids to McDonald's for lunch an hour or so ago, have a delicious sara lee cake in the freezer which we might serve to our guests tonight, own a L'Oreal mascara, and have just finished shampooing our children's hair with Johnson & Johnson shampoo! Sound familiar?

The fact of the matter is that these killings are not taking place as a result of economic gain alone, it's beyond that and Muslims have to be much smarter than that. The first step we should be doing, way before boycotting, is taking a look at our internal and external state as Muslims. If people's passion went towards advocating and advertising such much more, I think Islam and Muslims would be in a much better position.

Not trying to be pessimistic about the advantages of boycotting, but in present times I just haven't seen any positive long term benefits with such initiatives.

View Post

That is a very weak opinion. I think that you saw products contained on the list that you use, and you did not see any alternative. Or maybe you could not be bothered. It is not an attack on you, you are probably a better person than I am, but an attack on this way of thinking.

I have made a change in the way I select my products. Maybe this will help Australian companies to thrive. Maybe we should support the companies that have an interest in building Australia, and not another country such as Israel or America.

You talk about benefits? Why should we have to see such great changes. We can just rest easy knowing that we are not financially supporting companies who support Israel. Although, if enough people do this, of course it will make a change. Maybe they won't send as much money to Israel this year. Maybe they will hurt financially, and will think twice.

Every little bit of effort counts. Every small effort for good, no matter how small will hopefully be considered.

MacDonalds - Go and eat some real food.
Starbucks - Go and drink some real coffee.
Nokia phones - Motorola.
Sarah lee - I am sure there are different brands.
etc, etc, etc.

Edited by randwiggend, 07 August 2006 - 02:07 AM.

#12 randwiggend

randwiggend
  • Banned
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:01 AM

Ditto to DR (who tried to run me over at the lights as I was crossing the road the other day).

Face it, Muslims make up just a few percentage of citizens in Australia. Even if you got every single Muslim to boycott these products (unlikely) then it still would have little effect. And the fact is, by the time the product has hit the shelf, somebody has already paid for it, and lots of other people (distributors, etc) have had their input as well. Boycotting these products hurts these people as well.

The only reason for boycotting something is to make yourself feel good. If it makes you feel good, then do it, but don't delude yourself that you're making any difference to the suffering of the Palestinians, or now, the Lebanese.

wasalaam
sam

View Post

Same as last message to you.

Maybe you also cannot see alternatives. Maybe you like the brand of phone you have, or you want to use a certain product.

Why should it only be Muslims boycotting these products? Why shouldn't we try to educate people. Australian companies, who invest in Australian interests should be our first choice. If no choice exists, why not try to buy intelligently? Why support Israel?

And as for the 'it will hurt the poor retailers' line. The retailers, if a product is not selling well, will learn their lesson and not purchase this line of product again, will they? They will search for alternatives.

And to top this, at first you say that it will not hurt anyone, but then you say that if we do this, it may affect retailers? Interesting.

#13 Sam

Sam
  • Former Member
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

Assalamualaikum,

Knock yourself out.

wasalaam
sam
Israel's strategy: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

#14 Khamzat

Khamzat
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

And remember to boycott Russian goods and stop watching Indian mushirk fifth.
"I've been to Palestine, Somalia and Afghanistan. I've been to Iraq to Chechnya and I've been to Sudan...What am I?

#15 Jaaved

Jaaved

Alhamdulillah

• Admin
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

Maybe we should all switch to No Frills lol. Is that owned by Israel?

View Post

no frills is great!

and so is aldi! :D
“One of the greatest tribulations Allah can afflict a servant with is to preoccupy him with the faults of others, and blind him to his own faults.” — Quoted by Imam Zaid Shakir

“If you see an injustice, ACT ON IT, and if you can't do that, then SPEAK ON IT, and if you can't do that, then FEEL IT IN YOUR HEART, it's the weakest form of faith but at least that's a start.” — "Act On It" by The Brothahood

#16 ~*madcanberran*~

~*madcanberran*~
  • Brothers
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

And remember to boycott Russian goods and stop watching Indian mushirk fifth.

View Post

Wha's MUSHIRK FIFTH

#17 Hunter

Hunter
  • Members
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

I have, for the last 25 years or so, been on a 'Buy Australian' campaign. It has probably cost me a little more each time I do the shopping or need to buy something but it makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile.

The companies I buy from are the one's who are keeping Australians in the workforce. We stop buying their products, we effectively are responsible for the unemployment of a lot of fellow Australians.

I look at all things I buy very carefully and yes, I have often made mistakes. The biggest sort of problems are those which 'seem' to be an Australian brand but are actually a subsidiary of an overseas company, for example, Vegemite, which used to be an Australian company, is now owned by Kraft foods. Dick Smith makes an alternative product which I haven't yet tried but next time I need to buy it I will. Arnotts are another ex-Australian company which is now owned by another company from overseas. Of course Arnotts make Tim Tams, but then Dick Smith makes an exact copy of them (forget the name, I don't like chocolate) and they are apparently identical to Tim Tams.

The other thing I'm dead careful about is fresh fruit and vegetables. A country like Australia has absolutely no need to be importing fruit and vegetables. If I go to the local supermarket and there's a big sign up saying 'Fresh Californian Strawberries' or similar, then I make a big song and dance and make sure everyone in the vicinity of 5kms is aware that these are imported strawberries and the stupidity of importing fruit and veggies. I also complain to the store manager.

If I am unable to buy a similar product which is Australian, then I make the decision of whether it is necessary for me to buy it or whether I can live without it. 9 times out of 10, I can live without it. Surprisingly, this has also led to me actually spending less money and learning to go more 'home made' and natural and alter things especially in regards to foodstuffs.

Your first choice should always be 'Owned by Australians' then 'Made in Australia from Australian Ingredients', then 'Made in Australia'. Anything other than that I absolutely will not buy.

#18 RoseSky

RoseSky

Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?

• Sisters
  • 605 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

:salam:

You may want to add "Westfields" to that list - Mr Lowy is one of the biggest supporters (financially and otherwise) of Israel here in Australia (the other one is the guy that owns that AFL team, forgot his name). It may be a lot harder to avoid Israeli products then we realise but I guess we can try.

AOL Time Warner
Apax Partners & Co Ltd
Coca-Cola
Danone
Delta Galil  
Disney
Estée Lauder  
IBM
Johnson & Johnson  
Kimberly-Clark
Lewis Trust Group Ltd  
L'Oreal
Marks & Spencer  
Nestle
News Corporation  
Nokia
Revlon  
Sara Lee
Selfridges  
The Limited Inc
Home Depot  
Intel
Starbucks  
Timberland
McDonald's  
Arsenal FC

View Post

Edited by RoseSky, 07 August 2006 - 11:25 AM.

In Surat ar-Rahman: "When the sky disintegrates, and turns rose colored like paint." {55;37}. This picture is taken by the NASA Hubble Space Telescope of the "Cat's Eye Nebula." It is an exploding star 3,000 light years away..

#19 randwiggend

randwiggend
  • Banned
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

I have, for the last 25 years or so, been on a 'Buy Australian' campaign.  It has probably cost me a little more each time I do the shopping or need to buy something but it makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. 

I look at all things I buy very carefully and yes, I have often made mistakes.  The biggest sort of problems are those which 'seem' to be an Australian brand but are actually a subsidiary of an overseas company, for example, Vegemite, which used to be an Australian company, is now owned by Kraft foods.  Dick Smith makes an alternative product which I haven't yet tried but next time I need to buy it I will.  Arnotts are another ex-Australian company which is now owned by another company from overseas.  Of course Arnotts make Tim Tams, but then Dick Smith makes an exact copy of them (forget the name, I don't like chocolate) and they are apparently identical to Tim Tams.

Your first choice should always be 'Owned by Australians' then 'Made in Australia from Australian Ingredients', then 'Made in Australia'.  Anything other than that I absolutely will not buy.

View Post

Good work. See it is not difficult for people to buy Australian produce, made by companies who keep the money in Australia.

It is true a lot of iconic brands which once were australian have been bought by overseas companies. But there are still a lot of companies over here making similar or identical, even better products.

If you have noticed, most of the companies on the boycot list make products which are either not good for you health or focused on brand names and vanity. So I don't see what all the fuss is about in the first place.

So unless you want to keep eating your teddy bear biscuits whilst drinking your starbucks coffee in your favourite Tommy Hillfiger clothing.......

#20 randwiggend

randwiggend
  • Banned
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

no frills is great!

and so is aldi! :D

View Post

Aldi is a german company. It sells some Australian made products, as well as produce from other countries. I am not sure if the Australian made brands are owned by Australian companies.

No Frills is just a generic branded item, therefore origin of ownership is largely unknown.

#21 randwiggend

randwiggend
  • Banned
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

:salam:

You may want to add "Westfields" to that list - Mr Lowy is one of the biggest supporters (financially and otherwise) of Israel here in Australia (the other one is the guy that owns that AFL team, forgot his name). It may be a lot harder to avoid Israeli products then we realise but I guess we can try.

View Post

Joseph Gutnick.

Haven't heard much from him lately.

#22 Islam student

Islam student
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

Salamualkum
If we not able to struggle with Israel any other way, not buying the product of the companies who paying for the Israel army, unfortunately the only effective way.
If we just accept it we can't do anything about it we are supplying Israel with more bullets by buying more Big Mags, or a Nokia phone.
To answer the brothers and sisters who think boycott is not working, It is working, India took it's independent from British by peaceful boycotting of British goods.If all muslims even here in Australia stop buying this products,this companies will stop supporting Israel and it will be effective

#23 Hunter

Hunter
  • Members
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Actually I thought Nokia phones were owned by a Swedish company.

#24 Anya

Anya

It's just an anagram.

• Sisters
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

You can't go wrong with Australian made food products. Not only are you putting back in to our economy, but in general we have excellent standards :star:

#25 Hayaa

Hayaa

AKA Sky

• Sisters
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

As some of the other MVers have pointed out, boycotting is not an easy or realistic goal. But then again, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Go Aussie brands ! ^_^
"Every religion has a quality that is characteristic of that religion. And the characteristic of my religion is hayaa" The Prophet SAW

#26 ahmedk

ahmedk
  • Moderators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

Salaam

I appreciate the strong desire and good intentions to "do something", but some of you, out of ignorance or immaturity, are not able to comprehend this issue properly.

In Islam we don't have the concept of innocent bystanders being effected as an acceptable price to pay to reach some aim. That is, we don't have accept the concept of the end justifying the means.

For example, if you boycott Westfield you may hurt some innocent Muslim retailers in Westfield who may be using their businesses as a major supporter of initiatives that may be of great assistance to the Islamic community.

If you take an action, in this case a boycott, and hurt others besides the primary concern (Israel), this is Islamically unacceptable. It is like bombing a military base knowing that you will kill innocent civilians in the process. You can not do this Islamically.

All people of good will all around the world should boycott the source of the products - all products made in Israel.

We must use our wisdom with these things. You are to be commended for taking action to change our state, BUT make sure you are also not unintentionally harming others.

Salaam
Ahmed
"If you are not part of the solution.......then you are part of the problem" anon

#27 Khamzat

Khamzat
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

As some of the other MVers have pointed out, boycotting is not an easy or realistic goal. But then again, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Go Aussie brands ! ^_^

View Post

I didn’t read the thread in its entirely , but who ever objects to boycotting as not a “realistic goal” then the example of South Africa apartheid years should be sufficient enough as a real case studies to the influence of boycotting had on oppressive regimes .

Alhamdulilah knowing that I’m not covertly supporting capitalist complains who then wire funds to IDF hogs which subquently will result in more dead innocent Muslims. We will be question for this.
"I've been to Palestine, Somalia and Afghanistan. I've been to Iraq to Chechnya and I've been to Sudan...What am I?

#28 Islam student

Islam student
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

Salam Brother
I can't argue with you that we as muslim we responsible for our actions that have effects on innocent. But I think you are overestamting the negative aspect of it and not even looking on postive effects of it on Muslim community.

Fist there is always an alternative for most these products so we not destroying the businsees collectively . for example you can buy snoy or Lg mobile instead of Nokia. Agrreeing with boycotting westfield is not practical no iam sking for it.
Second some of these products like Coco-coal is not healty or Mags
Third by not buying some of this products like Macs, and buyinf from a muslim Kabab shop we actually can support our comunity and Israel.

It seems uneffective but think about muslim making 1/4 of world populationa and
some amount of buyers of thes products.

#29 ahmedk

ahmedk
  • Moderators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Just as a side note, the Prophet (saws) never used economic boycott as a weapon. He boycotted by not buying weapons from the Jews in is time, but never an economic boycott of anybody.

I support boycotts as long as they don't harm innocent parties.

Salaam
Ahmed

#30 randwiggend

randwiggend
  • Banned
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Salaam
I appreciate the strong desire and good intentions to "do something", but some of you, out of ignorance or immaturity, are not able to comprehend this issue properly.

What is so hard to comprehend? We are saying, if you support Israel, then we don't want to buy from you. Further to this, we are saying, it is better anyway to buy Australian made/owned wherever possible, because we want to build this country. I don't want to spend money to build America, Israel or any other foreign country.

I am not sure what is immature about this action.

In Islam we don't have the concept of innocent bystanders being effected as an acceptable price to pay to reach some aim. That is, we don't have accept the concept of the end justifying the means.

For example, if you boycott Westfield you may hurt some innocent Muslim retailers in Westfield who may be using their businesses as a major supporter of initiatives that may be of great assistance to the Islamic community.

It is a statement saying "we don't want to buy products from companies who support Zionism", it is not about hurting small business. What has what you are saying got to do with anything?

If you take an action, in this case a boycott, and hurt others besides the primary concern (Israel), this is Islamically unacceptable. It is like bombing a military base knowing that you will kill innocent civilians in the process. You can not do this Islamically.

So shall I drink my Coke just incase the man at the Milkbar suffers from the withdrawal of my patronage?

All people of good will all around the world should boycott the source of the products - all products made in Israel.

What if a Muslim is selling these Israeli products. By your standards we should buy in this case? Products made in Israel are very few.

What you are saying, however, is very poorly thought out. We shouldn't buy Israeli products, because they support Israel, but we shouldn't boycott companies that support Israel. Whether the product is being manufactured there or not, each product sold is having the same affect.

We must use our wisdom with these things. You are to be commended for taking action to change our state, BUT make sure you are also not unintentionally harming others.

If this can have an affect on a company that supports war, then I would like to see them hurting financially. Would you prefer to see the money you spend going to Israel or America, or staying in Australia? I know where I want my money to stay.

And I am seriously wondering what the big deal is about not using these products? As I have said, all I can pin it down to is the fact that some people love certain products, or maybe cannot see any alternatives. There are many alternatives.

Maybe it is too hard for a lot of people to do such a thing. If it too hard for you, that is okay. Just don't discourage others from doing a good thing.

And it is not all about boycotting Israel. It is about supporting Australian manufacturers when possible, and also about being smart about where you spend your money.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users